What is the x-component of the electric field at the origin?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
n77ler
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Electric force and charge

Homework Statement



A positive charge of 2.90 μC is at rest at the origin. An electric force of 65.5 x 10-6 N acts on the charge as shown in the figure below. What is the x-component of the electric field at the origin?

Homework Equations



F=kQ/r^2
E=kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution



I subbed the charge and force into F=k Q/r^2 and solved for r thinking I could dos somehting with it but it is a hugeeee number so I doubt I am doing it right.
 
Attachments
  • 28.gif
    28.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
Wrong formulas …

Hi n77ler!

You have the wrong formulas!

Not every electric charge problem asks you to find the force :frown: - in this case, they've told you what the force is, and only asked you to find the field!

Just use SWFanatic's formula. :smile: