What is the y-component of force on astronaut's jump on the Moon?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
mubeen916
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Suppose the astronaut has a weight on Earth of 190 lbs and is wearing a space suit that weighs an additional 180 lbs on Earth. What is the y-component of the force in Newtons on the astronaut and his space suit during a jump on the Moon? Show your calculation. Does the force act upward or downward?

Homework Equations


I'm not sure how to address this problem- I know that the net force= mass X acceleration. Is the y component of the force that they're asking for the same as the net force?


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi mubeen916! :wink:
mubeen916 said:
I know that the net force= mass X acceleration. Is the y component of the force that they're asking for the same as the net force?

the only force is the Moon's gravity, and that's down

the y component of force is the component of the net force in the positive y-direction :smile: