What is work done by gravity when lifting an object?

In summary: You do not apply a force to the object while it is at rest. In this case, the object is at rest at the top of the hill, so there is no net work done.
ttttrigg3r

Homework Statement

I have a brick of mass m in my hand. I move the brick vertically up h meters.

Homework Equations

What is the Work done to the brick by gravity?

The Attempt at a Solution

Work = Fd The F for my hand on the brick is mg going up and d is h so the work done by my hand to the brick is mgh upward. But now what is the work done by gravity? This concept is still blurry to me. Is Wgravity=mgh downward?

Physics news on Phys.org
Work is still just force X displacement. Since the force of gravity is downward, while the displacement is upward, what would be the sign of the work done by gravity?

Doc Al said:
Work is still just force X displacement. Since the force of gravity is downward, while the displacement is upward, what would be the sign of the work done by gravity?

I thought that work can only be done by a force that is in the same direction as the displacement. So wouldn't the work done just be 0? Or is that just a simple matter of how you define your system?

dacruick said:
I thought that work can only be done by a force that is in the same direction as the displacement. So wouldn't the work done just be 0?
No. Work can only be done by a force that has a component in the direction of the displacement; that component may well be negative.

Doc Al said:
No. Work can only be done by a force that has a component in the direction of the displacement; that component may well be negative.

Roger that.

So gravity is down. So is Wgravity= -mgh?

ttttrigg3r said:
So gravity is down. So is Wgravity= -mgh?
Right. The work you do (via your hand) is +mgh; the work done by gravity is -mgh.

Doc Al said:
Right. The work you do (via your hand) is +mgh; the work done by gravity is -mgh.

that can't be right though can it? That means that in lifting it up there is no net work done.

1. What is the definition of work done by gravity?

The work done by gravity is the product of the force of gravity and the distance an object is moved against that force. It is a measure of the energy transferred to an object when it is lifted against the force of gravity.

2. How is work done by gravity different from other types of work?

Work done by gravity is a specific type of work that is caused by the force of gravity. Other types of work may be caused by different forces, such as friction or applied forces.

3. Does the mass of the object affect the work done by gravity?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the work done by gravity. A heavier object will require more work to be lifted against the force of gravity compared to a lighter object, assuming they are lifted the same distance.

4. How does the height of the lift affect the work done by gravity?

The height of the lift also affects the work done by gravity. The higher an object is lifted, the more work is done by gravity because the force of gravity acts over a greater distance.

5. Can the work done by gravity be negative?

Yes, the work done by gravity can be negative. This occurs when the force of gravity is acting in the opposite direction of the movement of the object, such as when an object is being lowered against the force of gravity.