1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is work done by gravity when lifting an object?

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a brick of mass m in my hand. I move the brick vertically up h meters.

2. Relevant equations

What is the Work done to the brick by gravity?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Work = Fd The F for my hand on the brick is mg going up and d is h so the work done by my hand to the brick is mgh upward. But now what is the work done by gravity? This concept is still blurry to me. Is Wgravity=mgh downward?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Work is still just force X displacement. Since the force of gravity is downward, while the displacement is upward, what would be the sign of the work done by gravity?

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3
    I thought that work can only be done by a force that is in the same direction as the displacement. So wouldn't the work done just be 0? Or is that just a simple matter of how you define your system?

5. Oct 12, 2011 #4

Doc Al

No. Work can only be done by a force that has a component in the direction of the displacement; that component may well be negative.

6. Oct 12, 2011 #5
    Roger that.

7. Oct 12, 2011 #6
    So gravity is down. So is Wgravity= -mgh?

8. Oct 12, 2011 #7

Doc Al

Right. The work you do (via your hand) is +mgh; the work done by gravity is -mgh.

9. Oct 13, 2011 #8
    that can't be right though can it? That means that in lifting it up there is no net work done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook