Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is wrong in D.Y. Gezari's paper about speed of light?

1. May 9, 2015 #1
    Daniel.Y.Gezari @ nasa.gov 's paper

arxiv.org/vc/arxiv/papers/0912/0912.3934v1.pdf
    lunar ranging evidence of variable c

fig 2 of this paper shows DLB as the distance between the observatory (Launch) and the retro-reflector at the moment of the Bounce, DBR as the distance between retro-reflector (at the moment of the Bounce) and the observatory,
    In my opinion the speed of light with respect to the observatory is
    DBL/TLB, DBR/TBL, and (DBL+DBR)/(TLB +TBR).
    With the appropriate data in Table I this gives a c0 which differs at the most 1m/s from the canonical value c.
    So, the claim that the "measured" c differs 200m /s with the canonical c is invalid

Can anyone agree?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2015 #2

wabbit

Gold Member

4. May 9, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The preprint has been submitted to a journal in 2009, but apparently failed peer review. For a good reason, as the refutation shows.

The whole idea was doomed to fail anyway. You cannot use special relativity in one frame to calculate what would happen in another frame, and then "find" a violation of special relativity. It has been shown that the transformations of special relativity are self-consistent.

5. May 9, 2015 #4

Dale

Any claim that c in SI units is anything other than exactly 299792458 m/s is clearly wrong by definition.

6. May 9, 2015 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

So should we be discussing it on PF?

This paper is remarkably poor. I would not let one of my grad students or postdocs send it to a journal without revision. The paper claims on page 2 "The measured time of flight of individual laser pulses varies by as much as ~3 sec." This is completely unsupported by the rest of the paper. Second, it is conceptually impossible to make one measurement (time of flight) and determine two unknown quantities (lunar distance and speed of light). Finally, he misspells Jennifer Wiseman's name in the acknowledgements, which demonstrates how sloppy he is.

This is why this thread should be closed.

7. May 9, 2015 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

The paper referenced in the OP is not a reputable source. Thread closed.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook