1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What it exactly asks i this question?

1. Apr 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a heat seeking particle has the property at any point (x,y) in the plane it moves in the direction of maximum temperature increase. If the temparature at (x,y) is T(x,y)=-(e^-2y)*(cosx), find an equation y=f(x) for the path o a heat seeking particle at the point (pi/4,0)

3. The attempt at a solution

I did not completely understood the problem. What is y=f(x) exactly? Is it a linearizaton at (pi/4,0) or such a thing?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's the y coordinate of the particle's path. They are saying that you can find a function f(x) such that when the particle has horizontal coordinate x, then its vertical coordinate is y=f(x).

First, you should answer this. Given a fucntion f(x,y), what is the direction of maximum increase? And if we know that a particle is always moving in the direction of max increase, how does this relate to the path of the particle?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  4. Apr 15, 2007 #3
    I know that it maximum increases at the direction of
    ((e^-2y)*sinx) i + (e^-2y)*2cosx)j (the direction of gradient vector). However, how can ı relate it with a path?

5. Apr 15, 2007 #4
    The gradient will actually be (-(e^-2y)*sinx) i - (e^-2y)*2cosx)j .

6. Apr 15, 2007 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The gradient will be at all points tangent to the path.

7. Apr 15, 2007 #6
    I think these sentence mean something. But did not understand :cry: :cry: :cry:

8. Apr 15, 2007 #7

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's say the path is parametrized by time, so at time t it's located at (x(t), y(t)) = x(t)i + y(t)j. The direction it's going in is it's tangent, i.e. it's derivative, x'(t)i + y'(t)j, and you want this to equal e-2y(t)sin(x(t))i + 2e-2y(t)cos(x(t))j. So you can solve for x'(t) and y'(t) in terms of x(t) and y(t). Do some clever calculus and you'll be able to solve for y in terms of x (plus some constant, whose value you determine using the given initial conditions), which is what the problem's asking for.

9. Apr 15, 2007 #8

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think so. I missed it the first time I read it too, but there's a minus sign just after the "=" when he's defining T(x,y).

10. Apr 15, 2007 #9
    I am ging nearer but still some problems. I am lost between the x'(t),y'(t),x(t),y(t)... How should I get rid of this goddamn "t" ?:grumpy:

11. Apr 15, 2007 #10

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not going to give you the answer. Well, you can suppress the (t)'s, just keep in mind though that y'(t) is dy/dt, not dy/dx.

12. Apr 15, 2007 #11
    Oh yea I missed that initial minus sign.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?