What it means the theory violates unitarity

In summary, unitarity refers to the S-matrix being unitary, with a sum of all possible final states equal to 1. In some theories, such as Fermi's theory of beta decay, the cross section for certain interactions can become arbitrarily large, violating unitarity. This is due to the use of perturbation theory, which does not take into account all possible final states. Thus, the theory is not truly unitary and may not accurately reflect physical reality.
Mesmerized
What it means "the theory violates unitarity"

Hello, I know what unitary transformation is, but what does it mean that the theory does or does not violate unitarity? For example in some textbooks on QFT one can read that the Fermi theory of beta decay, which is not renormalizable, also violates unitarity. What it means - the unitarity of the theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose that the propagators aren't unitary. Bad slang of QFT people.

Unitarity means the S-matrix is unitary: SS = I. http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic473482.files/23-unitarity.pdf.

In Fermi's theory of weak interactions, the cross section for neutrino scattering would increase without limit as the energy increases, but cross sections are limited by unitarity.

thanks.

thanks Bil_K, it seems there is an explanation of that in your link, I will once watch into it more carefully

Bill_K said:
Unitarity means the S-matrix is unitary: SS = I. http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic473482.files/23-unitarity.pdf.

Do you know how the author of those notes derived the conclusion that cross-sections cannot be arbitrarily large from equation 70? You can have each of your Legendre coefficients less than 1, but that doesn't guarantee that the series converges.

Bill_K said:
http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic473482.files/23-unitarity.pdf.
The last paragraph is crucial:
"Keep in mind, this is not a statement that unitarity is violated in these theories. It says that unitary would be violated, if we could trust perturbation theory, which we can’t."

It's easy to understand that perturbation theory violates the unitarity of the S matrix. The S-matrix is (formally) derived from the time-evolution operator of states in the interaction picture, which reads
[tex]\hat{S}=\mathcal{T}_c \exp \left [-\mathrm{i} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \mathrm{d} t' \exp(-0^+ |t'|)\hat{H}_I(t') \right],[/tex]
where I've put in the usual Gell-Mann-Low adiabatic switching of the interaction. Perturbation theory now uses the power expansion of the exponential, and this immediately makes clear that the approximate S matrix is not unitary at any finite order of perturbation theory. This explains why cross section, evaluated outside of the applicability of perturbation theory, violate unitarity constraints.

vanhees71 said:
Perturbation theory now uses the power expansion of the exponential, and this immediately makes clear that the approximate S matrix is not unitary at any finite order of perturbation theory.

Of course, but the question rather seems to be whether you can approximately resum partial series so that the approximate result is unitary or not.

unitary requirement is required so that when you calculate|Sfi|2 for each possible final states,then the sum of all these |Sfi|2 should be equal to 1.when one use perturbation theory then ,of course one is not taking into account many possible final states hence it just can not be unitary.

andrien said:
unitary requirement is required so that when you calculate|Sfi|2 for each possible final states,then the sum of all these |Sfi|2 should be equal to 1.when one use perturbation theory then ,of course one is not taking into account many possible final states hence it just can not be unitary.
Sure, but Ʃ|Sn|2 should still be less than 1. We say the theory violates unitarity when some |Sn|2 > 1.

1. What is unitarity in the context of scientific theories?

Unitarity is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the total probability of all possible outcomes in a physical system must equal to 1. This means that all possible outcomes of a system must be accounted for and no information can be lost.

2. How does a theory violate unitarity?

A theory can violate unitarity if it predicts outcomes that do not add up to 1, or if it allows for information to be lost in a physical system. This can happen when the theory is inconsistent or incomplete, or if it does not properly account for all possible outcomes.

3. What are the consequences of violating unitarity in a theory?

If a theory violates unitarity, it means that it is not a complete or accurate description of reality. This can lead to inconsistencies and contradictions within the theory, and can also make it incompatible with other well-established principles and laws in physics.

4. Are there any theories that currently violate unitarity?

There are some theories, such as certain modifications of quantum mechanics, that have been proposed to violate unitarity. However, they have not been widely accepted as they are not supported by experimental evidence and go against the well-established principles of quantum mechanics.

5. How can scientists address the issue of unitarity violation in a theory?

Scientists can address unitarity violation by thoroughly testing the theory through experiments and observations. They can also work towards finding a more complete and consistent theory that can explain the phenomena in question without violating unitarity.