What kind of a pump is used in creating vacuum

In summary, a diffusion pump, roots blower, or rotary vane pump can all be used to create a vacuum in vacuum flasks or thermose. However, the best vacuum pump for the job depends on the value of the vacuum prior to sealing off the annular space. A vacuum of around 10 micron is typical, though I've seen manufacturers say a vacuum as low as 1 micron or as high as 100 micro when warm is acceptable. If the fluid is hydrogen or helium for example, any contamination will freeze out and the vacuum will drop to less than 1 micron during operation. Even atmospherics (ei: LN2, LO2, LAr) will generally drop the vacuum to around 1
mihov123
what kind of a pump is used in creating vacuum in vacuum flasks or thermose. Diffusion pump, Roots Blower, Rotary vane pump

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi mihove. Welcome to the board. The type of vacuum pump is less a factor than the value of the vacuum prior to sealing off your annular space. A vacuum of around 10 micron is typical though I've seen manufacturers say a vacuum as low as 1 micron or as high as 100 micro when warm is acceptable depending on fluid being conveyed. If the fluid is hydrogen or helium for example, any contamination will freeze out and the vacuum will drop to less than 1 micron during operation. Even atmospherics (ei: LN2, LO2, LAr) will generally drop the vacuum to around 1 micron.

Any vacuum pump that can get down to around 10 micron would be acceptable. That covers a lot of different pumps but the best design is to have a roughing pump and a turbo pump or similar arrangement that will get down to 10 micron or less. A roots blower all by itself for example, wouldn't be able to get you down to that level. It might be ok as a roughing pump but it would need to be put in series with another pump. I could see it being used as a great way of getting lots of air out of the annular space in a hurry because a roots blower generally displaces a lot of air for its size and cost, but the final level is the most important measure of a good vacuum system.

thank you for answering
I asked this because I want to make something simillar to vacuum insulated panels, something like a plastic honeycomb core and then create vacuum but now I see that is not simple as I thougt it would be and defineatly much more expensive

1. What is a pump used for in creating a vacuum?

A pump is used in creating a vacuum to remove gas molecules from a sealed chamber, creating a low pressure environment.

2. What types of pumps are commonly used in creating a vacuum?

The two most common types of pumps used in creating a vacuum are mechanical pumps, such as rotary vane pumps or roots pumps, and diffusion pumps.

3. How does a mechanical pump work in creating a vacuum?

A mechanical pump works by using rotating blades to compress gas molecules and force them out of the chamber, creating a lower pressure environment inside.

4. What is the advantage of using a diffusion pump in creating a vacuum?

Diffusion pumps can achieve a lower pressure than mechanical pumps, making them ideal for creating high vacuums. They also do not have any moving parts, making them more reliable and requiring less maintenance.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a pump to create a vacuum?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety procedures when using pumps to create a vacuum. This may include wearing protective gear, properly venting gas and fumes, and following manufacturer instructions for safe operation.