1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of differential equation is this?

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It's been a long time since I've done DE's and now I'm stuck with a monster of this form:

y'(t) = a*g'(t) + b*g(t) + c*y(t)

where g(t) is a known function and a, b and c are constants. What kind of DE is this, and how can I solve for y(t) -- or better yet, what should I read to figure this out? The answer involves a convolution integral, that I know for sure.

Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is just a simple linear DE of the form y'(t) - c*y(t) = f(t), where f(t) is the KNOWN function f(t) = a*g'(t) + b*g(t). There is nothing at all monstrous about it.

4. Sep 24, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If g(t) is known, then if you put h(t)=a*g'(t)+b*g(t), it's y'(t)-c*y(t)=h(t). It's an inhomogeneous first order linear equation. Nothing to do with convolution I can see.

5. Sep 25, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, the formula for the nonhomgeneous solution *does* involve something very like a convolution. In fact, if you do it by Laplace transforms you can see explicitly that part of the solution involves a product of Laplace transforms, hence involves convolution. However, the general solution may also involve some non-convolution parts, depending on initial conditions, etc.

6. Sep 25, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, shows I don't know much about Laplace transform methods. I stand corrected.

7. Sep 25, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need Laplace transforms; that is just one of the ways to see it. The general solution of
    [tex] \frac{dx(t)}{dt} - a x(t) = f(t) [/tex]
    is
    [tex] x(t) = C e^{at} + \int_0^t e^{a(t-\tau)} f(\tau) \, d \tau.[/tex]
    Here, the first term is the solution of the homogeneous equation and the second term is a 'particular' solution to the non-homogeneous equation. The second terms is a convolution of the two functions ##e^t## and ##f(t)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted