What kind of exposure is needed for ISS flyover videos?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Iss Videos
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Messages
5,112
Reaction score
20
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/Videos/CrewEarthObservationsVideos/

I saw one of these videos and they seem pretty badass. However, I was wondering, does anyone have any idea of what kind of exposure you need for those kinda videos? I'd be speechless if the exposures were the usual fraction of a second exposures you normally do and just compiles together to run at the 24-30fps. I imagine they may be a few seconds exposure, but I don't know :)

DISCUSS!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To get a good guess at the exposure, look at the stars in the background. The stars are quite faint, and do not make long streaks (but since it is video, I can't tell if they make short streaks). So the exposure can't be longer than about 10 seconds.

I can't guess what ISO the camera is using, but it seems reasonable that to get the city lights to show up brightly at that distance would be something on the order of 2-3 seconds at ISO 800 (assuming an aperture around f/2.8).