What kind of old physics tube is this?

In summary, a strange device was found in an old physics collection in a Swiss school. The tag on the device reads "2037. Dolomiti" and the Dolomites are a mountain range in Italy. A Geiger counter did not detect any unusual activity. The device may be used for x-ray or electron induced fluorescence and may have been intended for investigating fluorescence and electron emission. It also may have been used for creating gas discharge tubes.
greypilgrim
Hi.

I found this strange device in an old physics collection of a Swiss school. What could it be? I think the tag reads "2037. Dolomiti". The Dolomites are a mountain range in Italy. A Geiger counter didn't detect any unusual activity.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 486
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 427
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, either, but dolomite is also a mineral, CaMg(CO3)2, which may be the stone you can see.
May be some sort of x-ray or electron induced fluorescence.

If memory serves, dolomite exhibits pizeo-electric effects as well.

Klystron said:
If memory serves, dolomite exhibits pizeo-electric effects as well.
According to a geology web site, Dolomite mineral often contains flourite. https://geology.com/minerals/dolomite.shtml
This is the material after which fluorescence is named, because it glows under UV etc. The tube seems to have one electrode, so I am not sure how it would be used, but may have been to investigate fluorescence and electron emission, or may have been intended to be connected to an induction coil and produce fluorescence in the manner of a Geissler tube.

Likes Klystron
tech99 said:
The tube seems to have one electrode, so I am not sure how it would be used,

I suspect that is a getter for burning off the gas inside the tube

Likes Tom.G

1. What is the purpose of this old physics tube?

The purpose of this old physics tube is to perform experiments and demonstrations related to electricity and magnetism. It is a type of vacuum tube that was commonly used in early scientific research and in electronic devices.

2. What is the difference between this old physics tube and a modern one?

The main difference is that this old physics tube uses a vacuum, while modern tubes often use gases or semiconductors. The vacuum allows for better control of the movement of electrons, which is important for many experiments.

3. How does this old physics tube work?

This old physics tube works by using a high voltage to create a beam of electrons that travel from the cathode to the anode. The electrons are then focused and deflected by electric and magnetic fields, which can be adjusted to produce different effects.

4. Can this old physics tube still be used in experiments today?

Yes, this old physics tube can still be used in experiments today. While it may not be as commonly used as it once was, it is still a valuable tool for studying the behavior of electrons and for demonstrating basic principles of electricity and magnetism.

5. How can I identify the specific type of old physics tube?

To identify the specific type of old physics tube, you can look for identifying markings or numbers on the tube itself. You can also research the manufacturer and model online to find information about its specifications and uses. Alternatively, you can consult with a physics expert or reference materials for help identifying the tube.