What kind of old physics tube is this?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter greypilgrim
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics Tube
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
greypilgrim
Messages
583
Reaction score
45
Hi.

I found this strange device in an old physics collection of a Swiss school. What could it be? I think the tag reads "2037. Dolomiti". The Dolomites are a mountain range in Italy. A Geiger counter didn't detect any unusual activity.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
 
Attachments
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 591
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 527
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 410
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, either, but dolomite is also a mineral, CaMg(CO3)2, which may be the stone you can see.
May be some sort of x-ray or electron induced fluorescence.
 
If memory serves, dolomite exhibits pizeo-electric effects as well.
 
Klystron said:
If memory serves, dolomite exhibits pizeo-electric effects as well.
According to a geology web site, Dolomite mineral often contains flourite. https://geology.com/minerals/dolomite.shtml
This is the material after which fluorescence is named, because it glows under UV etc. The tube seems to have one electrode, so I am not sure how it would be used, but may have been to investigate fluorescence and electron emission, or may have been intended to be connected to an induction coil and produce fluorescence in the manner of a Geissler tube.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
tech99 said:
The tube seems to have one electrode, so I am not sure how it would be used,

I suspect that is a getter for burning off the gas inside the tube
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G