1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of system does this lagrangian describe?

1. Feb 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the following Lagrangian:
    \begin{equation} L = \frac{m}{2}(a\dot{x}^2 + 2b\dot{x}\dot{y} + c\dot{y}^2)- \frac{k}{2}(ax^2 + 2bxy + cy^2)\end{equation}
    Assume that \begin{equation} b^2 - 4ac \ne 0 \end{equation}Find the equations of motion and examine the cases a=b=0 and b=c, c=-a. Which kind of physical system is described by this Lagrangian? What meaning does \begin{equation} b^2 - 4ac \ne 0 \end{equation} have?

2. Relevant equations
    \begin{equation} \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} -\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_i} } = 0 \end{equation}

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm able to solve the maths for this problem (assuming no errors in my calculations). In general for a, c not equal to 0 i get
    \begin{equation} x(t) = \frac{1}{ac-b^2}(A_1 c \cos(\omega t + \phi_1) - A_2 b \cos(\omega t + \phi_2)) \end{equation}
    \begin{equation} y(t) = \frac{1}{ac-b^2}(A_2 a \cos(\omega t + \phi_2) - A_1 b \cos(\omega t + \phi_1)) \end{equation}

While for the cases a=c=0 and b=0, c=-a i get
    \begin{equation} x(t) = A_1 \cos(\omega t + \phi_1) \end{equation}
    \begin{equation} y(t) = A_2 \cos(\omega t + \phi_2) \end{equation}

The problem is I can't exactly figure out what kind of system this could be. My first thoughts are some kind of 2D harmonic oscillator or some system of 2 masses coupled with springs. I'm having problem answering what \begin{equation} b^2 - 4ac \ne 0 \end{equation} "means" when I can't figure out what kind of system this is.

Thanks in advance,
    Brotof

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2014 #2
    Hi.
    I didn't check your solution but it looks ok... now:
    "2D harmonic oscillator or some system of 2 masses coupled with springs" are examples of two coupled oscillators, so you're basically right.
    For your next question, how can you express the Lagrangian when b^2= 4ac? What does it say about the relative phases of x and y?

4. Feb 19, 2014 #3
    I see that the Lagrangian then can be written:

\begin{equation}
    L = \frac{m}{2c}(b\dot{x} + c\dot{y})^2 -\frac{k}{2c}(bx + cy)^2
    \end{equation}

Also, bot my equations of motion reduces to a single one:
    \begin{equation}
    \frac{b^2}{c}\dot{x} + b\dot{y} + \frac{k}{m}(\frac{b^2}{c} x + by) = 0
    \end{equation}

Hmm. I'm not exactly sure what this says about the relative phases. We get the solution

\begin{equation}
    (\frac{b^2}{c} x + by) = A \cos(\omega t + \phi)
    \end{equation}.
    Does this necessarily mean they have the same phase? I'm still not able to visualize this system.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  5. Feb 19, 2014 #4
    The above is wrong. If:
    ax2+2bxy+cy2 and b2= 4ac, then you have equivalently:
    (x√a + y√b)2
    And your Lagrangian can be written in terms of a single variable:
    u = x√a + y√b
    In other terms, a degree of freedom has been lost somewhere. Think about this example:
    you have first a system of two masses and three springs, something like that:
    |^^O^^O^^|
    Now replace the central spring by a rigid rod:
    |^^O––O^^|
    See the connection?

6. Feb 19, 2014 #5
    Thanks a lot, that makes sense!

Im really sorry, I was a bit hasty and have made an error. It's supposed to be
    \begin{equation}
    b^2 = ac
    \end{equation}
    without the factor 4.

I don't think I'm wrong when taking that into account that I meant b^2 = ac, even though I wrote it a bit more complicated that necessary.

\begin{equation}
    \frac{k}{2}(ax^2 + 2bxy + cy^2) = \frac{k}{2}(\frac{b^2}{c}x^2 + 2bxy + cy^2) = \frac{k}{2c}(b^2 x^2 + 2bcxy + c^2 y^2) = \frac{k}{2c}(bx + cy)^2
    \end{equation}
    and of course the same way for the kinetic energy term.

Then we get

\begin{equation}
    bx + cy = A\cos(\omega t + \phi)
    \end{equation}

Anyway, the help is appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted