What makes a misaligned belt drive inefficient?

• Thread starter hihiip201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Belt Drive
In summary, the misalignment illustration in the link above illustrates how friction between belt and pulley can cause inefficiencies in belt drive power transmission systems. This friction manifests itself as vibration, noise, and excessive heating within the v belt, and at pulley/belt interfaces. On the maintenance side, belt life is inversely proportional to temperature - the hotter is runs, the quicker it dies. Belt over-tensioning places unnecessary stress on motor and driven equipment bearings, and reduces their life. Misalignment causes excessive and uneven belt wear, and increases pulley wear leading to 'scalloping', less face contact, and an ever increasing need to over-tension the belt.
hihiip201
http://constructionasphalt.tpub.com/TM-5-3895-374-24-1/css/TM-5-3895-374-24-1_666.htm

consider the misalignment illustration in the link above.

What makes a misaligned belt drive inefficient? I imagine it is due to increase friction but where does this friction manifest in the system? (which component and how?)

Most sites simply state this as an fact without the physical explanation, I was hoping I can get one here.

Engineering news on Phys.org
V belt/pulley power transmission depends upon friction between belt and pulleys. Ideally, both faces of a V belt are in full and equal contact with their corresponding pulley faces, and transmit force equally with belt(s) tightened to the minimum tension required to prevent slippage. When misaligned, 1. forces are coupled unequally and 2. more tension is required to prevent slippage.

Misalignment inefficiencies manifest themselves as vibration, noise, and excessive heating within the v belt, and at pulley/belt interfaces.

On the maintenance side, in a well designed system, belt life is inversely proportional to temperature - the hotter is runs, the quicker it dies. Belt over-tensioning places unnecessary stress on motor and driven equipment bearings, and reduces their life. Misalignment causes excessive and uneven belt wear, and increases pulley wear leading to 'scalloping', less face contact, and an ever increasing need to over-tension the belt.

hihiip201 said:
What makes a misaligned belt drive inefficient? I imagine it is due to increase friction but where does this friction manifest in the system? (which component and how?)
I don't know any theory about this, but from simple experience I'd say that misalignment causes contact between the belt and pulley at points where they are not moving in the same direction. If perfectly aligned, the belt ideally meets the pulley at a tangent, when the pulley and tangent are moving in the same direction and speed. Then the belt conforms to the surface of the pulley and again moves at the same velocity round the portion of contact, until it leaves at a tangent.
If misaligned, the sides of the belt meet the pulley when they are moving in different directions. The sliding contact must cause some frictional loss (and wear.)
pulley_friction.png
pulley_friction2.png

The tension in the belt and degree of misalignment would affect the normal force between the sliding surfaces, and therefore the frictional force. Since extra friction increases the belt tension, there might be some positive feedback here making friction grow disproportionately with degree of misalignment.

Likes Asymptotic and hihiip201
Friction and the work it takes to bend the belt. I imagine it is somewhat similar to the scrub force of a tire at each end.

Merlin3189 said:
I don't know any theory about this, but from simple experience I'd say that misalignment causes contact between the belt and pulley at points where they are not moving in the same direction. If perfectly aligned, the belt ideally meets the pulley at a tangent, when the pulley and tangent are moving in the same direction and speed. Then the belt conforms to the surface of the pulley and again moves at the same velocity round the portion of contact, until it leaves at a tangent.
If misaligned, the sides of the belt meet the pulley when they are moving in different directions. The sliding contact must cause some frictional loss (and wear.)View attachment 210001 View attachment 210002
The tension in the belt and degree of misalignment would affect the normal force between the sliding surfaces, and therefore the frictional force. Since extra friction increases the belt tension, there might be some positive feedback here making friction grow disproportionately with degree of misalignment.

I agree. The picture in my head is similar to the second picture, with a straight belt driven by a crocked pulley, then the teeth of the pulley will move along the surface of the grooves on the belt which is where they meet.thanks!

A picture of what I visualize.

looking at the second picture from top view / 3rd picture from rear view of the crocked pulley.

pulley in red, belt in black. the horizontal lines are gears/grooves. and the yellow dot are the contact points, which can also be thought of as one fixed point on a pulley teeth at different time, which we can see slide along the surface of the groove it contacts with.

Attachments

• pully-belt.png
    pully-belt.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 520

1. What causes a belt drive to become misaligned?

A misaligned belt drive can be caused by a variety of factors, including improper installation, wear and tear, or external forces such as vibrations or temperature changes. It can also be a result of poor maintenance or lack of regular inspections.

2. How do I know if my belt drive is misaligned?

Some signs of a misaligned belt drive include unusual noises, uneven wear on the belt, excessive heat, and decreased efficiency. You can also visually inspect the alignment of the belt and pulleys to determine if they are properly aligned.

3. Why is a misaligned belt drive inefficient?

A misaligned belt drive can cause the belt to slip, resulting in decreased power transmission and reduced efficiency. It can also cause excess wear and tear on the belt and other components, leading to potential breakdowns and costly repairs.

4. How can I correct a misaligned belt drive?

The best way to correct a misaligned belt drive is to first identify the cause of the misalignment. If it is due to improper installation, it may be necessary to reposition the pulleys or replace the belt. If it is a result of wear and tear, regular maintenance and adjustments can help keep the belt drive aligned.

5. Can a misaligned belt drive cause safety hazards?

Yes, a misaligned belt drive can pose safety hazards in the workplace. It can lead to unexpected breakdowns and equipment failures, which can result in accidents and injuries. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain belt drives to ensure they are properly aligned and functioning safely.