What math courses should I take (math/physics double major)

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary math courses for a physics major with a theoretical focus. The suggested courses include group theory, differential geometry, abstract algebra, real analysis, measure theory, probability theory, and stochastic processes. The importance of rigor and the relevance to future plans is also mentioned. The thread is now closed and it is hoped that the individual seeking advice has made a decision and successfully completed their studies.
feuxfollets
So I know there's another thread but I don't want to hijack it, and I'm going to math major as well so I'll be taking another 8-10 or so semesters beyond calculus/linear algebra. I'm interested in doing physics with a theoretical bent.

From what I've gathered, group theory and differential geometry would be useful. My school has a one-year sequence on Abstract Algebra (groups, rings, fields, etc.) and Differential geometry/topology. Should I take both of those? There's also a year on lie algebras but that's burried deep within other grad level stuff.

Is Advanced real analysis useful for a physicist?
Course description is: (2 semesters)

Construction of real numbers, the topology of the real line and the foundations of single variable calculus. Notions of
convergence for sequences of functions. Basic approximation theorems for continuous functions and rigorous treatment of
elementary transcendental functions. The course is intended to teach students how to read and construct rigorous formal proofs

The Arzela-Ascoli theorem. Introduction to the topology of metric spaces with an emphasis on
higher dimensional Euclidean spaces. The contraction mapping principle. Inverse and implicit function theorems. Rigorous
treatment of higher dimensional differential calculus. Introduction to Fourier analysis and asymptotic methods

There's also a one-year sequence on Measure theory/probability theory/stochastic processes. I've heard probability is something a lot of grad physicists lack so should I take that?

Physics news on Phys.org
feuxfollets said:
So I know there's another thread but I don't want to hijack it, and I'm going to math major as well so I'll be taking another 8-10 or so semesters beyond calculus/linear algebra. I'm interested in doing physics with a theoretical bent.

You need to specify your future plans more.

1) How theoretical will your physics be? Will it be mathematical physics like string theory?
2) What kinds of physics will you be interested in?
3) Do you want to do math for its own sake, or do you merely want the math to be useful for physics?
4) Do you want your physics to be well-founded in math? Or do you accept sloppy math to be used in physics? That is: do you want things to be defined and proved rigorously, or is that less important to you than actually getting physical results?

The answers useful to you will depend a lot on these questions.

Likes IGU
Over 4 years have passed since feuxfollets posted seeking advice on maths appropriate to physics study.

We hope he chose well and went on to graduate.

Thread closed.

1. What math courses are required for a math/physics double major?

The specific math courses required for a math/physics double major will vary depending on the university or program. However, most programs will require courses in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and advanced calculus or analysis. It is important to check with your academic advisor or the program's curriculum to determine the exact course requirements.

2. Can I choose my own math courses for a math/physics double major?

In most cases, you will have some flexibility in choosing your math courses for a math/physics double major. However, there may be certain required courses that you must take. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that you are fulfilling all necessary requirements for your program.

3. Is it beneficial to take more advanced math courses as a math/physics double major?

Taking more advanced math courses can certainly be beneficial for a math/physics double major. These courses can provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and help strengthen your problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in physics courses. However, it is important to balance your course load and not take on more than you can handle.

4. Are there any specific math courses that are recommended for a math/physics double major?

In addition to the required courses, there may be some recommended courses that can enhance your understanding of mathematical concepts in the context of physics. These may include courses in vector calculus, complex analysis, or differential geometry. Again, it is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine which courses are best for your individual academic plan.

5. Are there any math courses that I should avoid as a math/physics double major?

There are no specific math courses that you should avoid as a math/physics double major. However, it is important to choose courses that align with your interests and strengths, as well as fulfill any necessary requirements for your program. It is also important to maintain a manageable course load, so be sure to consult with your academic advisor before enrolling in any advanced or challenging courses.