1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What math to learn after differential eq. and linear algebra?

1. Oct 7, 2015 #1
    Hi, I'm currently studying to become a chemical engineer.
    After learning differential equation and linear algebra, I've realized how useful they are in my engineering courses since they make setting up equations and solving them so much easier. So I was wondering if there are other math that would be useful for me to take, like maybe statistics, discrete math, or abstract algebra?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2015 #2

Maylis

Gold Member

As far as an undergraduate chemical engineering degree is concerned, you don't need any additional math courses.

4. Oct 9, 2015 #3
    Numerical analysis is a must, it is necessary for simulating processes or solving some advanced models which are very hard or impossible to solve analytically. Most of the modelling done in industry is numerical, not only because of the complexity of some models, but it also saves a lot of time. Still, I also recommend you study basic partial differential equations on your own, maybe even some Fourier analysis, it wouldn't hurt, and it's useful for modelling advanced transport phenomena analytically.

5. Oct 9, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should get exposed to statistics if nothing else to be familiar with the terms. Process controls involve the use of statistical analysis.

https://controls.engin.umich.edu/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Check out Section 3 for more information on statistical process controls in a ChemEng environment.

6. Oct 11, 2015 #5
    I would say your best bet at this point is to focus on ChemE classes (I don't think anyone is expecting you to take anymore math) but if you want to take another math class, like MexChemE said, I would find some numerical analysis/scientific computing class. I would expect any school with an applied math department to offer some flavor of this subject, so it would be best to check in your school's applied math department.

7. Oct 15, 2015 #6
    Thank you everyone for the advises.
    I'll look over these topics and see what I can use as study materials. Also, my school does offer a Numerical Methods in ChemE course and a Numerical Analysis for Mathematical Computer Science course so I'll check these out.

8. Oct 15, 2015 #7
    PDE's!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook