Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What method does COMSOL use to interpolate post processing data?

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    I'm computing the potentials in a volume conductor. I can get the potentials at any arbitrary location using the File->Export->Post Processing Data. Anybody know what method (and its order) COMSOL uses to interpolate the potentials at the arbitrary locations?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2009 #2
    try post processing, subdomain integration, and click the help button. it will probably answer your questions, but im not sure. ive never used the export tool except for meshes

4. Jun 23, 2009 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It will depend on what order element is being used for the finite element model. First-order (no mid-side nodes) will be a linear interpolation, while single mid-side nodes will allow for a quadratic interpolation accross each element.

5. Jun 23, 2009 #4
    i suggest using the highest order you can... quartic i think? Tax ur computer like crazy and see comsols full potential. I ran my quad core at 100% all night once and got nowhere. I was sad because i probably cut like a year off my computers life haha.

6. Jun 23, 2009 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is of course a waste. There is a trade-off between the order element being used and the number of elements in the model; usually, it's better to use more lower-order elements than fewer higher-order elements, but it will vary from case to case. I seriously doubt quartic elements are necessary in any problem. Ever.

7. Jun 23, 2009 #6
    lol sorry if u didnt pic up on my sarcasm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook