Why backpropagation dominates neural networks instead of interpolation

jonjacson
TL;DR Summary
I don't understand what are the advantages of backpropagation in a neural network versus using classical interpolation/extrapolation methods.
Hi guys,

I was learning machine learning and I found something a bit confusing.
When I studied physics I saw the method of least squares to find the best parameters for the given data, in this case we assume we know the equation and we just minimize the error. So if it is a straight line model we compute the best slope and constant.
With machine learning we don't know the underlying equation or model so we use a general method to "fit" as best as we can the real data.
But, isn't that what we do with interpolation/extrapolation?
What is it so special about a neural network and the backpropagation method that we can't achieve with interpolation?

Technology news on Phys.org
jonjacson said:
TL;DR Summary: I don't understand what are the advantages of backpropagation in a neural network versus using classical interpolation/extrapolation methods.

With machine learning we don't know the underlying equation or model
I don't think this is correct. Each artificial neuron implements a definite function with parameters (weights and bias), which need to be determined to minimize a definite target function, which is built by composing the functions of the neurons.

Hill said:
I don't think this is correct. Each artificial neuron implements a definite function with parameters (weights and bias), which need to be determined to minimize a definite target function, which is built by composing the functions of the neurons.
The weights are used to compute how much of an output from one neuron enters the next ones, but that is not a function.

jonjacson said:
The weights are used to compute how much of an output from one neuron enters the next ones, but that is not a function.
Here is one way to define the function (sorry, I'd need to dig to find the source of this paper):

1702209231417.png

1702209291789.png

1702209321470.png

1702209388276.png

1702209430175.png

Likes jonjacson
jonjacson said:
With machine learning we don't know the underlying equation or model so we use a general method to "fit" as best as we can the real data.
But, isn't that what we do with interpolation/extrapolation?
What is it so special about a neural network and the backpropagation method that we can't achieve with interpolation?
I am not an expert, but here is my understanding:
The backpropagation of neural networks is to develop weights for intermediate layers that can help to model a sophisticated decision process. Those intermediate layers are not given data like interpolation is. They are free to interpretation. Sometimes they are obscure and other times we can imagine a meaning for them. The only hard training data are the inputs and outputs at the first and last layer.

Likes jonjacson

1. Why is backpropagation more commonly used in neural networks than interpolation methods?

Backpropagation is more commonly used because it efficiently handles the optimization of complex functions in high-dimensional spaces typical of neural networks. It systematically adjusts the weights in the network by propagating the error backward from the output layer to the input layer, effectively minimizing the error across millions or even billions of parameters. Interpolation methods, on the other hand, generally excel in simpler, lower-dimensional problems and lack the scalability and adaptiveness provided by backpropagation for large datasets and complex model architectures.

2. What are the advantages of backpropagation over interpolation in training deep neural networks?

Backpropagation offers several advantages in training deep neural networks, including its ability to efficiently compute gradients of highly non-linear functions with respect to many parameters. This is crucial for deep learning, where models often contain a large number of parameters and layers. Additionally, backpropagation facilitates the use of stochastic gradient descent and other optimization algorithms that can handle large datasets and converge faster by updating weights incrementally. Interpolation methods typically do not scale as well or handle the complexity inherent in deep neural networks.

3. Can interpolation methods be used effectively in any neural network scenarios?

Yes, interpolation methods can be effective in certain scenarios, particularly in problems where the data is low-dimensional and the underlying function is relatively simple or well-understood. They are also useful in cases where an exact or analytical solution is possible and desirable. However, in the realm of large-scale deep learning, where the data and model complexity are high, interpolation methods generally fall short compared to backpropagation.

4. How does backpropagation contribute to the adaptability of neural networks?

Backpropagation contributes significantly to the adaptability of neural networks by allowing them to learn from and adjust to a wide variety of data inputs and structures. As it iteratively minimizes the loss function, the network learns the subtle nuances of the input data, adjusting its weights and biases to improve prediction accuracy. This dynamic adjustment process is crucial for applications in dynamic environments where the input data characteristics can change over time.

5. Are there any advancements or alternatives to backpropagation that are gaining popularity?

While backpropagation remains the dominant training algorithm in neural networks, there are several advancements and alternatives that are gaining traction. Techniques such as Hebbian learning, genetic algorithms, and reinforcement learning offer different approaches to training neural networks, each with unique advantages in specific scenarios. Additionally, research into methods like differentiable programming and neuroevolution continues to grow, potentially offering more efficient or robust alternatives to traditional backpropagation in the future.