What part of a car uses the principle of optics to function?

In summary: Some vehicles have photocells that detect when it is nighttime and can turn on the headlights or dim the reflections in rear-view mirrors. It would probably help if you told us what grade level you are in. Since we are used to helping a lot of college physics students, it's easier to give you a better answer if we have an idea of where you are in your studies.I'm from Malaysia. currently still in high school, but our school science subject is pretty advance to be honest :-) just finish the Geometrical Optics book, currently studying the Chapter 1 of Physics which is the dimension stuffs...Btw, does tyre thread works in the
victor3010

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Project

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. Well, our teacher given us this title as above and ask us to complete a report to him... May I know What part of a car uses the principle of optics to function? Other than light stuffs.. what other electronics whatsoever follow the principle of optics.. for example, like a snooker ball hits the wall at an angle, it will reflect at a same angle (if I'm not wrong)...gotta be Creative in this one.. cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
how about mirrors

yeah...how about sensors or GPS stuffs??

How about the CD player or maybe opto-isolators in the cpu. The Infinity Q45 had fiber optic data transmission between components.

ok. nice one u have there... i am thinking about sound system... does it got to do with it??

Sure, do a little research on cd players. They use lasers, lenses and optical sensors.

ok. other than that.. is there any instrument which operates with something like reflect, refract? it doesn't has to be light stuffs

victor3010 said:
ok. other than that.. is there any instrument which operates with something like reflect, refract? it doesn't has to be light stuffs

yes. your car radio. the radio waves used to listen to the radio waves are electromagnetic waves just like light!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Project

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi guys, I decided to open one more thread in this part.. Well, our teacher given us this title as above and ask us to complete a report to him... May I know What part of a car uses the principle of optics to function? Other than light stuffs.. what other electronics whatsoever follow the principle of optics.. for example, like a snooker ball hits the wall at an angle, it will reflect at a same angle (if I'm not wrong)...gotta be Creative in this one.. cheers

icic.. tks for ur info, I'm still new in this field, our teacher just started teaching scalar and vector.

Well, if you can't do "light stuffs", it's pretty hard to do anything related to optics, because it's pretty much focused on light (sry for the pun). But instead of concentrating on stuff like headlights, why don't you do other (not so obvious) things like how the tinted windows work, or how the mirrors work, etc.

how bout those engine oil kind of stuff?

victor3010 said:
how bout those engine oil kind of stuff?

This is getting silly. Is this a joke?

nono... just wondering, sitll new in this field

victor3010 said:

Ok, but opening a second thread seemed excessive. If your teacher asked for a report on optics and you turn in something about 'engine oil kind of stuff', you may be getting way TOO creative. Why not just pick one of the suggestions already made, there are some good ones.

ok. i'll look into it..tks

you have certain types of window glasses which do not allow passers by to see the passengers in the cars. it involves the principle of total internal reflection. people inside the car will be able to see outside while those outside will not be able to see inside the car. VIP cars have such windows. the windows are made of special types of glass which reflect most of the incoming rays from outside and do not let them pass through.

i don't know how these types of windows are called.

Dick said:
If your teacher asked for a report on optics and you turn in something about 'engine oil kind of stuff', you may be getting way TOO creative.

LMAO :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Since visible light can't penetrate metal,
the shapes, sizes, positions, and orientations of the glass windows and mirrors [and thus the metal frame of the car as whole] are obviously important in the design of the car... and when the car is operating.

Some vehicles have photocells that detect when it is nighttime and can turn on the headlights or dim the reflections in rear-view mirrors.

victor3010 said:

It would probably help if you told us what grade level you are in. Since we are used to helping a lot of college physics students, it's easier to give you a better answer if we have an idea of where you are in your studies.

I'm from Malaysia. currently still in high school, but our school science subject is pretty advance to be honest :-) just finish the Geometrical Optics book, currently studying the Chapter 1 of Physics which is the dimension stuffs...

Btw, does tyre thread works in the same way when moving on wet surface

Last edited:
Again, it is difficult to respond without knowing what level you are at in your studies. Should we give an answer that draws on what you've learned in a college physics class? High school physics? Middle school science class?

currently in form 4...So far, we've only learned Geometrical Optics for the higher learning stuff

Windows are very important.

Without windows, the driver wouldn't be able to see where he was driving, and might end up in the wrong city.

This is very closely related to the issue of optics. :smile:

Tks For Everyone suggestion here. yeah, Mirrors and glasses are all optics stuffs, I'll 100% write those things in my report. but how bout some other stuffs beside these kind of stuffs, eg. metallic paint

1. How do headlights use the principle of optics in a car?

Headlights use the principle of optics by utilizing lenses and reflectors to focus and direct light beams from the bulbs to illuminate the road ahead. This allows for better visibility while driving at night or in low light conditions.

2. What role do mirrors play in the principle of optics in a car?

Mirrors in a car use the principle of optics to reflect light and images. Rearview mirrors use a flat mirror to reflect light from behind the car, while side mirrors use a convex mirror to give a wider view of the surroundings.

3. How does the windshield use the principle of optics in a car?

The windshield of a car is made with laminated glass, which is a combination of two layers of glass with a layer of plastic in between. This design uses the principle of optics to reduce glare and improve visibility by reducing the amount of light that enters the car.

4. How do speedometers and odometers use the principle of optics?

Speedometers and odometers in a car use the principle of optics through the use of gears, magnets, and sensors. The gears and magnets work together to turn the odometer and speedometer needles, while the sensors detect the rotations and convert them into digital readings.

5. What part of a car uses the principle of optics to assist with parking?

Many modern cars use cameras and sensors to assist with parking, and these systems rely on the principle of optics to function. The cameras capture images, and the sensors measure distances, allowing the system to provide visual and audio cues to help the driver park the car accurately.