Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What particles are our body's made up of?

1. Aug 30, 2008 #1
    are they made up of the same as particles in physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

If you are referring to particles which are smaller than atoms, then yes. But of course you have to be more specific.

4. Aug 30, 2008 #3
    like are they made up of photons or electrons?

5. Aug 30, 2008 #4

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Except "real men". They are made up of Real Stuff. :smile:

6. Aug 30, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Bigpapi777! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Our bodies are made of atoms.

The atoms are made of electrons protons neutrons and pions (but no photons or neutrinos).

The protons neutrons and pions are made of quarks. :smile:

7. Aug 30, 2008 #6
    Isn't it a not so entirely accurate statement to say "not photons or neutrinos" as these are a fundamental building block of quarks, absorbed wave/particle duality or not...........they are in there however disregarded!

8. Aug 30, 2008 #7
    is was told that particles at the quantum level always violate causality,is this true?

9. Aug 30, 2008 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Welcome to PF!

?

Quarks are considered elementary particles, with no known "building blocks".

10. Aug 30, 2008 #9
    My apologies what I meant to say was "Isn't it a not so entirely accurate statement to say "not photons or neutrinos" as these are a fundamental building block of neutrons and protons when combined with quarks, absorbed wave/particle duality or not...........they are in there however disregarded!" Also most modern beyond standard model texts do concur that even quarks are made up of even finer still particles para-example string theory................ Not that I really want to get to picky with this as it is a pretty speculative field in general.

If I'm correct larger quarks do decay and also release nutrinos...............

11. Aug 30, 2008 #10
    Why did you highlight PIONS?????????? Let me add W BOSONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Aug 30, 2008 #11

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the best answer is either electrons, protons, and neutrons, OR electrons, up-quarks, and down-quarks. In short, the stuff that ordinary atoms are made of. I was questioning the inclusion of pions in this list.

The original question was not for a list of all known fundamental particles, just the ones that make up our bodies.

13. Aug 30, 2008 #12

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

pion cloud?

Hi Redbelly98! :smile:

I was thinking of the "pion cloud" that's supposed to surround a nucleon … or is that just a convenient mathematical fiction?

(nobody talks of a "photon cloud" round an electron … so I sort-of assumed pions clouds actually exist :confused:)

14. Aug 30, 2008 #13

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah, okay.

It has been a long time since I took courses in this stuff, and particle physics was not my specialty. But I'll buy that explanation.

15. Aug 30, 2008 #14
    so our bodies are made of electrons?

16. Aug 30, 2008 #15
    This was part of the question and I'm saying photons are included in the very long list of particles that make up not only the human body but all of everything and these are covered under the topic of nuclear physics, chemistry and so forth.......................... I say this because for some very odd reason photons tend to be disregarded as a particle that makes up matter.

Can we say people are made up of light? I say yes we can!
    (I think we can make a vote on this)

And yes the theoretical conversation as to why I believe we can say this and the listing of all particles is a discussion for another forum.

17. Aug 30, 2008 #16
    how many particles are known of? i think i read 410

18. Aug 30, 2008 #17

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Bigpapi777! :smile:
    Electrons going around nuclei (which are made of protons and neutrons, and maybe pions).
    Hi rebeka! :smile:

There are no photons in atoms …

just because an electron sometimes emits a photon, that doesn't mean it was there in the first place … :wink:

Holograms are made of light … bodies are made of matter! :smile:

19. Aug 30, 2008 #18
    You obviously didn't read the article Holographic Universe in Sci Ams special nuclear edition a few years back..................................... da da ching

as to how many particles are known the answers is oh god...........................depends on what your area of expertise is................I like dots.............................

20. Aug 30, 2008 #19
    im no expert,what i meant is how many known are they around 400?

21. Aug 30, 2008 #20

Defennder

Homework Helper

Hi, the concept of the holographic principle has nothing to do with everything being made up of light. This isn't something I'm familiar with so see here:
    I don't think there are 400 elementary particles. See here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_particles

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?