What personality/character traits do you despise in people?

• Thread starter oddcitations
  • Start date
In summary, some personality/character traits that can make me want to "ring someone's neck" include egotism, close-mindedness, and ignorance. I also have a strong dislike for nosiness and people who don't care about others' well-being. Additionally, I find complacency to be a frustrating trait, especially when someone refuses to acknowledge their mistakes or make an effort to change their circumstances.
oddcitations
What are some personality/character traits in people that make you want to ring their necks, reach into their guts and wrap it around their body? For me,
Someone who is egotistical. I just can't stand it, you think you're the best just because you're, you?
Close-minded people. Someone who will totally blow off your opinion and lecture you because their opinion in their mind is, "right."
Overly ignorant people. I admit, I don't know very much about politics, it's not a very interesting topic for me. But when someone is de-sensitized and ignorant enough to say that third world children should just work cheap labour so the rest of us here can enjoy our "Gucci" bags, it drives me up the wall.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nosiness.

People who don't care others' profit and do something violate others in public place

oddcitations said:
For me,
Someone who is egotistical. I just can't stand it, you think you're the best just because you're, you?

Some people are better than other people. It's a sad fact that parents don't tell their kids anymore. Egotism can be hard earned and can be an excellent work-place trait for leaders.

oddcitations said:
Overly ignorant people. I admit, I don't know very much about politics, it's not a very interesting topic for me. But when someone is de-sensitized and ignorant enough to say that third world children should just work cheap labour so the rest of us here can enjoy our "Gucci" bags, it drives me up the wall.

Wow, this is the ULTIMATE irony! Do you know how ignorant you just sounded? You realize that those children rely on those jobs so they don't f*cking STARVE TO DEATH, right? You know what happens in third-world countries where child labor is outlawed? Child prostitution. (http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=3621)

It's not about the Gucci bags, it's about economic development. Those crappy jobs pay more than most local alternatives. They bring money into a country and allow those children's parents to work in the fields so that the children don't have to.

Remember when the UK and the US has sweat shops and relied on child labor?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5Gog4Isa0cvskVMUet76rs9cMdS1agHLMwOuD93smV94G2cEiYw.jpg
The US and the UK went through a period of economic growth where by those very children helped the nation acquire new goods and build new infrastructure. As the nation built capital we were able to better protect our children (as it should be). But how dare you look down your nose at children who try to feed themselves and the companies that try to feed them.

Is it good? Of course not! But strictly speaking it's one million times better than the alternative. Try reading a book before you make your judgement:

(https://www.amazon.com/dp/0313322775/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

I hate hypocrites.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I find amusing about myself is that I can "hate" someone on sight occasionally.

There will be something about them that will annoy me when I see them and for some reason everything they do will annoy me unless they somehow "redeem" themselves.

I don't treat them any differently, and I don't actually hate them. I just am annoyed by the sight of them so I guess it is still bad.

I know this is prejudicial by definition and would get me fired from NPR is I said it in public, but for the seemingly anonymous internet I feel I can reveal a little.

At the moment: Two people who I have never met that I hate.

1. Matt Damon. (Because of the Bourne movies.)

2. This guy on my college campus who seems to have gone out of his way to fill a cowboy stereotype. He wears a full on rodeo outfit (wrangler sponsored clothing with wrangler written in large letters up and down the sleeves.) to school everyday. Cowboy hat, trophy belt buckle (6" tall). And the tall pointy-toed cowboy boots outside his jeans. And to top it all off he has a foot long feather sticking out of his hat. I don't live in Texas...

You can flame me for this, but I really don't care.

Pattonias said:
2. This guy on my college campus who seems to have gone out of his way to fill a cowboy stereotype. He wears a full on rodeo outfit (wrangler sponsored clothing with wrangler written in large letters up and down the sleeves.) to school everyday. Cowboy hat, trophy belt buckle (6" tall). And the tall pointy-toed cowboy boots outside his jeans. And to top it all off he has a foot long feather sticking out of his hat. I don't live in Texas...

I find it funny that some types of over-the-top displays of supposed heterosexuality can look suspiciously like over-the-top displays of homosexuality.

There... there's my awful stereotype for the day.

FlexGunship said:
I find it funny that some types of over-the-top displays of supposed heterosexuality can look suspiciously like over-the-top displays of homosexuality.

There... there's my awful stereotype for the day.

The irony of that statement is none of the gay guys I know would be caught dead looking like that.

Rude and thoughtless.

Sorry, I guess it has gone a little over the top. Especially for PF.

Pattonias said:
The irony of that statement is none of the gay guys I know would be caught dead looking like that.

Hah ha. I only know two gay guys (and a few gay women) and none of them dress according to the stereotype I was relying on in my previous post.

Pattonias said:
Sorry, I guess it has gone a little over the top. Especially for PF.

I think Evo was answering the OP. Not commenting on any of the recent posts.

Oh, I see. I was actually worried if Evo would get mad or not. It's not good to go around ticking of Mentors.

Complacency:

• Still believing urban legends and myths that have been debunked
    [*]Saying "tomayto / tomahto" after being told that they've used a word / concept incorrectly
  • Making assumptions about someone / something instead of asking / looking it up
  • Complaining about things in their lives that are completely within their means to change
  • Immediately blaming others when things go wrong instead of objectively looking at what happened to see if they've done anything wrong or if they can do anything to help

The bolded bullet is one of my biggest pet-peeves. Pronouncing a word incorrectly by placing emphasis on the wrong syllable or making the wrong vowel sound is one example. It's not "tomayto / tomahto"! Don't be lazy; look it up in the dictionary and learn to say it correctly! :grumpy:

Pattonias said:
Oh, I see. I was actually worried if Evo would get mad or not. It's not good to go around ticking of Mentors.
I was answering the OP, I hadn't read your post.

Dembadon said:
[*]Making assumptions about someone / something instead of asking / looking it up
[*]Complaining about things in their lives that are completely within their means to change
[*]Immediately blaming others when things go wrong instead of objectively looking at what happened to see if they've done anything wrong or if they can do anything to help

Ironically, most of humans do that , and most of the time they don't even realize. According to some social psychologists, no one is immune to such biases.

Gossip and the pathological need to diatribe. Never admitting a mistake.

Liars! I hate liars! and people who swear excessively... learn some manners!

All of them in me, myself. Totally flip if I see them in someone else. I told them to get vacinated, I'm contagous. :grumpy:

Cheating, Treachery, Hypocrisy, Cruelty, Stupidity.

The big 5.

People who are two faced.

I can overlook most things, but when I observe that it does get to me a bit.

FlexGunship said:
It's usually called "G5" or the "Group of 5." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_Five

You know me far too well for my own good. This... MICE... 'Snow Crash'?! My tinfoil hat must not be screwed on tightly enough... or maybe it's too tight. Yeah, I don't mean the G5, although it's not entirely off-base... :tongue:

The pain of the makeshift screws makes me forget!

:wink:

Seriously though, MICE is the root of a class of behaviour... I think this represents another class of behaviors still rooted in MICE, and when it comes back to MICE who DOESN'T get pissed?

Some people are better than other people. It's a sad fact that parents don't tell their kids anymore. Egotism can be hard earned and can be an excellent work-place trait for leaders.

In my opinion, you don't have to be egotistical to be a good leader. A good leader, is someone who will, say, guide their team in the right direction. I don't think he's the one shouting orders and getting mindless sheep to follow him. After all, more minds are better then one. In fact, I feel a good leader will look at someone's input and actually consider it before walking away thinking they are so much better then their employee. You are right, though, you do have to have some sort of ego, and probably one above average to be able to lead. I'm bias because I'm a believer of modesty.

The US and the UK went through a period of economic growth where by those very children helped the nation acquire new goods and build new infrastructure. As the nation built capital we were able to better protect our children (as it should be). But how dare you look down your nose at children who try to feed themselves and the companies that try to feed them.

Is it good? Of course not! But strictly speaking it's one million times better than the alternative. Try reading a book before you make your judgement:

Well, to address this, both of these are horrible. And yes, child labour is a better alternative to child prostitution, and yes, they are working for their living(granted in a good deal of places it could almost be slavery) but history has told me that when people stand together, it makes it a less brutal place for everyone. The recent Tasanian revolution + Egyptian revolution are just some recent examples. To me, if you just assume there is a worst alternative and just let it be, nothing will happen. Her Gucci bag statement is ignorant because she doesn't care about something outside her little bubble of security, she doesn't care about these children at all. When in talking about child labour, I feel, one should generally attempt and offer solutions to ease the problem(because they feel sympathetic), not just blow it off assuming everything is okay, just because they like their pretty bags. I see where you are coming from, though. I think you think that I'm belittle-ing what the children do and automatically assume its wrong, and that there have been worse options for them, but I don't know, they both seem horrible. I am ignorant for ignoring the economy that these children "thrive" on, but I still believe in giving children equal rights. Even if they are labourers, they deserve the same pay, treatment as adults. Her statement entails that she doesn't give a flying hoot about them.I do read sometimes, just not enough to have views from every single angle of a topic.

Last edited:
Not being able to say "I'm sorry" and then alter future behavior.

physics girl phd said:
Not being able to say "I'm sorry" and then alter future behavior.

Oooh... that's good... well said too.

I have recently a lot of thought into this subject and I believe that lack of critical thinking is the root of all of our problems. If people would have criticized themselves rigorously none of this would have happen. Of course when can point out the dunning-kruger effect but starting to think critically is surely a good start.

You can do all the critical thinking you like, but your own individual views / opinions along with your interpretation of information (your Dunning-Kruger effect) you are presented with will dictate the results.

I may cansider the decision to go to war - and decide it's the wrong one.
GWB may think about the it (I couldn't keep a straight face typing that) - and decide it's the right one.

Even two experts in the same field can come to different decisions.

jarednjames said:
You can do all the critical thinking you like, but your own individual views / opinions along with your interpretation of information (your Dunning-Kruger effect) you are presented with will dictate the results.

I may cansider the decision to go to war - and decide it's the wrong one.
GWB may think about the it (I couldn't keep a straight face typing that) - and decide it's the right one.

Even two experts in the same field can come to different decisions.

I think you make a good point... a personality or character trait is different from differing or competing (even illusory) expertise.

I can't stand people who talk over other people during a conversation. I also can't stand people who talk about themselves too much. Even worse are people who talk over you while talking about themselves!

Counter-intelligence, terrorism, revenge and extortion.

People that, when they get ticked off, wrap their arms up real tight around their body, rock back and forth, and grunt, roll their eyes, and look out the window when you say something to them.

People that storm around the house screaming "N----- F---!" at the top of their lungs when they're pissed - even when the windows are open.

People that get so drunk they crap themselves when they're laying out in the front yard.

My daughter lives in the same town as her mom and had to vent last night. I try not to hear any more about her mom than I have to - it just brings back bad memories. She probably needed mental care more than a divorce, but who cares. I'm just glad it's not me that deals with her anymore.

BobG said:
People that, when they get ticked off, wrap their arms up real tight around their body, rock back and forth, and grunt, roll their eyes, and look out the window when you say something to them.

People that storm around the house screaming "N----- F---!" at the top of their lungs when they're pissed - even when the windows are open.

People that get so drunk they crap themselves when they're laying out in the front yard.

My daughter lives in the same town as her mom and had to vent last night. I try not to hear any more about her mom than I have to - it just brings back bad memories. She probably needed mental care more than a divorce, but who cares. I'm just glad it's not me that deals with her anymore.

:bugeye:

I don't think this is a contest, but if it is, I think you win. A mix of near-catatonia and then mania... and drinking... oh boy.

What are some personality/character traits that people generally despise?

Some common traits that people may despise in others include dishonesty, selfishness, arrogance, insensitivity, and aggression.

Why do people tend to dislike these traits?

These traits can create negative experiences and harm relationships, leading people to feel hurt, betrayed, or disrespected. They may also go against societal values and norms, causing people to view them as undesirable.

Can these traits be changed or improved?

Yes, personality and character traits can be changed or improved through self-awareness, effort, and practice. However, it may require a significant amount of time and effort, and some individuals may struggle more than others.

Are there any benefits to having these traits?

While these traits are generally viewed as negative, they may have some benefits in certain situations. For example, aggression can be useful in self-defense or standing up for oneself, and selfishness can help individuals prioritize their own needs.

How can we handle encountering these traits in others?

It's important to remember that everyone has flaws and that these traits may be a result of past experiences or underlying issues. Instead of despising them, we can try to understand and empathize with the person, communicate our feelings, and set boundaries if necessary.