What point on the line y=3x-1 is closest to the origin? What is the distance?

In summary, the solution to finding the closest point on the line y=3x-1 to the origin involves finding the normal vector to the line, an arbitrary point on the line, and subtracting the vector of the origin from that point. The resulting vector is then projected onto the normal vector to find the shortest vector from the origin to the line. This vector can be used to find the point on the line by plugging in the x-value into the original equation. Another method is to find the line perpendicular to the given line and passing through the origin, and finding the point of intersection between the two lines.
skyturnred

Homework Statement

What point on the line y=3x-1 is closest to the origin? What is the distance to the origin from this point?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, I thought I knew how to do this but I don't think my answer seems right.

I find the normal vector to this line to be n=[3, -1]. I find an arbitrary point on the line by imputing x=1 into the equation and getting y=2 (so the point on the line is (1,2)). Then I subtract the vector of the origin (0,0) from that to get a random vector from the origin to a random point on the line. This vector is w=[1,2].

So to get the point on the line I do the projection of w onto n. My answer is [(3/11),(-1/11)]. This is the shortest vector from the origin to the line.. right? Can someone just double check this for me?

So then to get the point on the line.. I thought I should plug (3/11) into the original equation and get an answer for y but I get y=-2/11. Does this seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find the line that is both perpendicular to the given line and passes through the origin and see where these two lines intersect. This will be the point you're looking for.

1. What is the point on the line y=3x-1 that is closest to the origin?

The point on the line y=3x-1 that is closest to the origin is the point where the line intersects the x-axis. This point has coordinates (0, -1).

2. How do you calculate the distance from the point on the line y=3x-1 closest to the origin?

The distance from the point on the line y=3x-1 closest to the origin can be calculated using the distance formula: d = √[(x2-x1)² + (y2-y1)²]. In this case, the coordinates of the closest point are (0, -1), so the distance from the origin is simply d = √[0² + (-1)²] = 1.

3. Can the distance from the origin to the point on the line y=3x-1 closest to the origin be negative?

No, the distance from the origin to the point on the line y=3x-1 closest to the origin cannot be negative. Distance is always a positive value, as it represents the length of the line segment connecting two points.

4. How does the slope of the line y=3x-1 affect the distance from the origin to the closest point?

The slope of the line y=3x-1 does not affect the distance from the origin to the closest point. This is because the slope only determines the steepness of the line, not its distance from the origin.

5. Is there a way to find the point on the line y=3x-1 that is closest to the origin without graphing?

Yes, there is a way to find the point on the line y=3x-1 closest to the origin without graphing. This can be done by setting the equation equal to 0 and solving for x. In this case, the closest point is when x=0, so the y-coordinate can be found by plugging in x=0 into the equation, giving us the point (0, -1).