What programs to learn for IT and web design?

In summary: Google can be helpful for finding solutions to PC problems, but it is not the only source of information.
yungman
TL;DR Summary
Just want to know what is the right program if necessary for IT and web design
Just kind of want to find a hobby, from the trouble I got in being logged out of my computer and thanks the Sysprog for helping to resolve the problem. I am thinking about maybe I should learn more about computers. Mainly I just want to be not so helpless with computers, learning others are bonus.

Is learn programming like C# or C++ necessary to dig deeper into computers or web design? I did programming in the 70s and early 80s in Assembly and some Pascal. But I moved to Analog and RF electronics design and never look back, now that I am retired, just kind of looking for a hobby to stimulate my mind rather crossword puzzles. I have been designing high end hifi amplifiers for a few years, it's kind of getting to the end as there's only so much one can improve after designed and built a few already. So I am kind of looking for something challenging to keep my mind young.

Alan

Technology news on Phys.org
That's a nice ambition Alan. But web design, programming, and personal computer maintenance and support are wildly different subjects. Can you narrow the focus some?

It might be helpful to state what you expect to get from your computer related study.

Likes phinds
anorlunda said:
That's a nice ambition Alan. But web design, programming, and personal computer maintenance and support are wildly different subjects. Can you narrow the focus some?

It might be helpful to state what you expect to get from your computer related study.
what he said (very small).jpg

C++ is not really used on the web at all. C## is a bit, but only in large business applications where there is already a big investment in Microsoft technolgy.

A language that is often recommended as being suitable for many purposes including the web is Python although personally I am not a big fan.

One language that is everywhere on the net is JavaScript - this is the language that is built into every web browser and is used for instance to implement the editing toolbar on PhysicsForums.

But to come full circle, if you are interested in combining your interest in analog and HiFi with code then you need to be in C++ after all. Check out HiFiDuino and similar projects (warning - once you get into this you may not emerge from your shed for 6 months)!

Oh and I forgot to mention PHP. PHP is often frowned upon as a language with some justification, but as it is the language behind Facebook and WordPress it certainly has a huge presence on the web.

There’s a couple of things you could do:

1) learn JavaScript, web page design and nodejs with either react or angular. Nodejs uses JavaScript on the server side. Basically you’d be able to design a full web app with html and JavaScript and react or angular on the frontside and a nodejs server app using JavaScript On the backside to complete the app.

2) learn python and use Flask to build a web app with html and JavaScript. Best to use the anaconda distribution and then you can branch out into machine learning too.

3) add Docker into the mix to create a microservice from either of the above items.

Likes pbuk
jedishrfu said:
and react or angular on the frontside
or Vue (although this is probably not the place for a discussion on the relative merits of competing front end frameworks).

Thanks everyone, I am taking it in. I just throw out some wishful thinking. I really don't know enough about computers.

The most important thing of cause is to learn how to deal and fix pc problems encounter in daily life. Is this more like learn IT?

I just bring up web design as a wishful thinking.

The world of computer technology is vast far larger than you can imagine. Think about all the kinds of jobs available where people are experts and their knowledge only covers a portion of the field.

Db admins, network admins, pc repair, security ...

Python would be a good start for you. There are several books that get into using python for system admin.

Likes Klystron
yungman said:
The most important thing of cause is to learn how to deal and fix pc problems encounter in daily life.

If your PC is set up properly, you shouldn't encounter problems in daily life.

Unfortunately, with a Windows PC, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to maintain the "set up properly" state for very long. Particularly with Windows 10 as Microsoft has gotten more aggressive about not letting you opt out of things like having to have a Microsoft account to log into your PC.

yungman said:
The most important thing of cause is to learn how to deal and fix pc problems encounter in daily life. Is this more like learn IT?
Learn how to use Google properly if you want to have solutions to your PC problems. You don't need anything else other than common sense.

Likes jedishrfu
There are several languages you can use for building web apps. But C/C++ isn't really used for the web. You have several options, but JavaScript, Python and PHP are popular for programming web apps.

You could do one of these:

1) Learn and Python and use the Flask module https://pythonbasics.org/what-is-flask-python/ Flask let's you build web apps with Python.

2) Learn JavaScript and NodeJS, Angular or React. If you want to do everything in JavaScript/HTML, this is what you could do.

3) Learn PHP with Laravel. PHP is still widely used, despite the reputation of the language. For example, WordPress is made with PHP (and all it plugins) https://laravel.com/

What programs should I learn for IT and web design?

This is a common question for those who are new to the field of IT and web design. The programs you should learn will depend on your specific interests and career goals.

What are the essential programs for web design?

Some essential programs for web design include HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. These are the building blocks of web design and are necessary for creating and styling websites.

Which programming languages are important for IT?

There are many programming languages used in IT, but some of the most important ones include Java, Python, and C++. These languages are versatile and used in a wide range of IT applications.

Do I need to learn graphic design for web design?

While graphic design skills can certainly enhance your web design abilities, they are not essential. Many web designers use pre-made graphics or work with graphic designers to create visuals for their websites.

Are there any specific programs for IT security?

Yes, there are specific programs for IT security such as Wireshark, Metasploit, and Nessus. These programs are used for network and vulnerability scanning, as well as penetration testing.