What Resources Are Needed to Set Up a Modern Thin-Film Laboratory?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
NSK8700
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Friends,seeking some doctoral Researchers in the sub-domain of thin-films,I would want
the following assistance from any of them: (1)A Standard Reference Book that addresses
introductory (Post Grad.) and advanced (PhD) topics in thin Films.(2) Some standard Lab
projects that has been conceptualized in Thin films for UnderGrad's & PostGrad's (4) a
Comprehensive list of Equipments/Instruments and pertinent accessories/ resources towards
setting up a modern thin-films laboratory.(5) Leading Academic and Corporate labs on
thin-films who are lead with cutting edge thought leadership in this area (6) Possible
manufacturing suppliers of the laboratory instrumentation and pertinent inter-disciplinary
apparatus in the context of (2) aforesaid. (7) Advise from practitioners who have already
set-up such Thin-film labs for research/small production environs.[I understand that this is
an exhaustive resource request,however,respondents may limit themselves to their domain
of expertise]
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't answer all of your questions, but I'd suggest that even within the 'sub-field' of thin film technologies, that there is no 'standard lab setup with standardized equipment'--this ranges from multimillion dollar controlled clean rooms doing everything from CVD (Chemical Vapour Deposition) and ALD (Atomic Layer Deposition) to a fumehood and some beakers doing electrodeposition or Self-Assembled Monolayers.

The textbook I used in my graduate intro vacuum science course was by Milton Ohring Materials Science of Thin Films, Second Edition. Good, broad overview of many of the concepts encountered in thin films.

You may need to learn to walk a little before running!