What Role Does the Higgs Boson Play in the Universe's Inflation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ISamson
Gold Member
Messages
435
Reaction score
150
Hello,
I have read somewhere that the Higgs Boson particle (or field) is responsible for the inflation of the universe. Does anybody have more information?
Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Samsonov said:
I have read somewhere that the Higgs Boson particle (or field) is responsible for the inflation of the universe. Does anybody have more information?

"I have read somewhere" gives us no guidance on what it is that you have read or where can we find it. "I have read something somewhere, but won't tell you where or exactly what, but want more" is an impossible question to answer.
 
There are some ideas how the Higgs mechanism (but not the particle) could be related to inflation, a phase of very rapid expansion of the very early universe. It is unclear if these ideas are correct, and I don't see how a [b]-level thread could go into details.