1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What schools have the best physics _teachers_.

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    I'm sure similar questions have been asked before, but all the threads Google and the search seem to find are the standard lists of ivy league schools. If you know of a good thread or two please drop a link.

I'm transferring out of a community college, and I was planning to transfer directly into the state university, but I was unexpectedly nominated for a fairly large and exclusive scholarship, and I have a fairly good chance of getting it, so I'm suddenly able to apply to a more varied selection of schools.

I'm already applying to all those "top 10" schools for this fall, but beyond these schools, what schools have good physics teachers? Not which ones score the best. (This was very short notice for me, so ones with a deadline that isn't already passed is a plus.)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2
    This isn't always going to be the case but it seems to me like smaller liberal arts type colleges are better as far as teaching goes (or so I've found in my bit of research). This is mostly because teachers are more accesible to students at these schools and a lot of the time aren't totally devoted to research. The downside being that there isn't as much research (if any) for undergrads to be involved in. I was going to recomend Reed but the deadline was the 15th. I'm sure others can point you in the right direction as far as where to apply though.
  4. Jan 21, 2008 #3
    I agree with Helical. And there are a lot of research opportunities for undergrads. It is far from the case that there are NO research opportunities.
  5. Jan 21, 2008 #4
    I checked it out and the transfer deadline isn't until March, so I'm reading up on it.
  6. Jan 21, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

Is location a factor? Here are some places that come to my mind quickly. Don't take it as a comprehensive list.

West: Reed, Harvey Mudd

Midwest: Grinnell, Oberlin, Kenyon

Northeast: Swarthmore, Dartmouth, Williams, Middlebury, Union

Southeast: Davidson, Furman, Guilford
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?