What is causing my low GPA and how can I improve it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pitagora
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gpa Low gpa
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 10K views
I don't think I can offer the OP any advice beyond what has been already suggested here, but perhaps if possible he should go on a term-long or longer break, something like a disruption (one that is approved by his college), and spend his break auditing the courses he wants to take when he resumes his studies. Of course there's a possibility that the syllabus may change before he gets to take the course, but I doubt there'll be much of a change in short order.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to improve the GPA, I think you should identify precisely what is stopping you from getting higher marks, and then work on fixing that.

Are the low scores from test scores? Homework scores? Look back at what you got wrong on homework and test problems - were your mistakes conceptual errors, computational errors, or lack of problem-solving skills errors? These issues can all be fixed.

How much time do you spend studying, and how effective is the time spent? Some people "grind out" hours and hours of cramming and studying, banging their head against the material and zoning out without actually getting much learning done. Don't be like that! Study hard, but be smart and focused about it.

Do you get enough sleep? Good nutrition? Some exercise? Do you feel motivated to learn the material? Emotional issues? Identify the issues and work on it.

Were there key concepts you missed early on that are now screwing you over? You got to find out what those concepts are, and either spend time to understand them, or if you don't have enough time, figure out how to use key points from those concepts so they don't hold you back.

As for broader career advice, I can't really comment.