1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should i do after using Taylor series?

1. Jul 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The first equation on the uploaded paper converts to the last equation.

2. Relevant equations
    when i substitute ln (1-u)=-u-(1/2)(u^2) into the first equation, i can get the first term in (3rd equation).
    but the second term of the 3rd equation ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried ln(1-u)= -u-(1/2)(u^2)-(u^3)/3, then by completing the square. yet cant get. i wonder is that any way that i not yet learn.
    please guide what to do. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2013 #2
    I don't understand your question. Could you rephrase what you are asking?

Though, I'll point out (as a fun fact) that, analytically, ##x_{\text{max}}=\dot{x}_0\frac{g \operatorname{W}\left(\frac{-e^{\frac{-\gamma \dot{z}_0}{g}-1} (g+\gamma \dot{z}_0)}{g}\right)+g+\gamma \dot{z}_0}{\gamma (g+\gamma \dot{z}_0)}##, where ##\text{W}## is the Lambert W function. It's pretty. :tongue:

4. Jul 21, 2013 #3
    He's asking why he didn't get the second term in ##x_{max}## equation after he had substituted the natural logarithm with its Taylor expansion. He managed only to recreate the first term. Is there anything that he missed?

5. Jul 22, 2013 #4
    Let's see what I can do:

$$\left(\frac{\dot{z}_0}{\gamma}+\frac{g}{\gamma^2}\right)\frac{\gamma x_{\text{max}}}{\dot{x}_0}+\frac{g}{\gamma^2}\ln\left(1-\frac{\gamma x_{\text{max}}}{\dot{x}_0}\right)=0 \\ \left(\frac{\dot{z}_0}{\gamma}+\frac{g}{\gamma^2}\right)\frac{\gamma x_{\text{max}}}{\dot{x}_0}=\frac{g}{\gamma^2}\left(\frac{\gamma x_{\text{max}}}{\dot{x}_0}+\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\gamma x_{\text{max}}}{\dot{x}_0}\right)^2+\cdots\right)\\ \text{For clarity and ease of notation, I now substitute the variable } u \text{ for}\frac{\gamma x_{\text{max}}}{\dot{x}_0}. \\ \left(\frac{\dot{z}_0}{\gamma}+\frac{g}{\gamma ^2}\right)u=\frac{g}{\gamma^2}\left(u+\frac{u^2}{2}+\frac{u^3}{3}\cdots\right)\\ 0=\frac{\dot{z}_0 u}{\gamma}+\frac{g}{\gamma^2}\left(\frac{u^2}{2}+\frac{u^3}{3}+\cdots \right)$$

Can you take it from there, Outrageous?

6. Jul 23, 2013 #5
    Thanks for replies.
    My question is exactly like what Seydlitz said.
    Then after that, what should I do next?

7. Jul 23, 2013 #6
    Isolate ##u##, substitute back ##u=\frac{\gamma x_{\text{max}}}{\dot{x}_0}##, isolate ##x_{\text{max}}##.

8. Jul 23, 2013 #7
    Sorry. Can I ask how to isolate u? By using?

9. Jul 23, 2013 #8
    There are three solutions (if you negect terms higher than O(u^4) ). One of them is u=0.

10. Jul 23, 2013 #9
    One will be u= 0 , then what should I going to do next in order to get ......last equation?

Attached Files:

11. Jul 23, 2013 #10

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If u is not 0 you can divide it out and you are left with a quadratic equation.
    Do you know how to solve something of the form ax² + bx + c = 0?

12. Jul 23, 2013 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted