1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should I study after algebra?

1. Dec 18, 2007 #1
    So far I'm about halfway through an algebra book. The last two chapters are quadratic equations and quadratic applications.

What shoud I study next? Stick with algebra, and get a book on more "advanced" algebra?

Basically, I need to educate myself up through a pre-calculus level, due to plans of enrolling in college next fall.

Thanks a lot.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2007 #2
    trig? rates of change?
  4. Dec 18, 2007 #3

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

We could assume that you are currently studying Intermediate Algebra, since you are studying quadratic equations halfway through the book. If you were studying Introductory Algebra, then you would most likely deal with quadratic equations near the end of the book.

What comes next could be Geometry (which you may also do much later depending on your interests), then Trigonometry, and then PreCalculus (which College Algebra and Trigonometry). You might wonder if you should do your trigonometry study as part of PreCalculus; It is up to you as long as you are studying on your own. Many PreCalculus courses are a combination of this more advanced algebra with much of the same Trigonometry which you would study in a dedicated Trigonometry course. You need it one way or the other or both ways, but you really will need it.

What is your goal with Mathematics?
  5. Dec 18, 2007 #4
    Actually, this is introductory algebra, the very last two chapters of the book deal with quadratic equations.

So, I should probably get a "college algebra" book after I complete this one?

As far as my goal, I need to do well in college. Thinking of possibly attempting an engineering degree.

Right now, I just need to get my math up to an appropriate level to start college.

6. Dec 18, 2007 #5
    college algebra>trig+pre cal>calc+differential equations+linear algebra>pdes+fourier analysis if you want to be EE
  7. Dec 18, 2007 #6
  8. Dec 18, 2007 #7

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I may have confused you. I did not mean to do so.

Your next course should be either INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA, or Geometry. Both are good courses to study and either can naturally follow after your Introductory course of Algebra. My advice is to pick the intermediate course of Algebra when you are finished with your introductory level study; you will find a large portion of the intermediate level useful throughout much of what you might study in the sciences.
  9. Dec 20, 2007 #8
    Great advise. Thanks.
  10. Dec 20, 2007 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

try euclidean geometry.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?