1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should i study at university (UK)

  1. May 27, 2015 #1
    Well i would really like to work with solar panels and renewable energy and trying to find better and new ways to harnace the energy and at the moment i dont know what to study i have looked at physics or mechanical engineering.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2015 #2

    Simon Bridge

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Welcome to PF;
    You will need to start by finding a University that has a post-grad program in the areas you are interested in and then study the prospectus they publish.
    Typically renewable energy comes under geophysics while solar energy would be in electrical or materials engineering or solid state physics. You can also study engineering and specialize in energy later. A lot will depend on whether you want to build things or study them - it sounds like you are more interested in research (finding new stuff as opposed to improving existing stuff) so I'd say concentrate on science over engineering. So it looks like you should go for physics and maths as an undergrad.

    Now yu know where to look - check out the courses in more detail.
  4. May 27, 2015 #3
    Great thanks
  5. May 27, 2015 #4
    To build on this point specifically, the UK has a centre for doctoral training in new and sutainable photovoltaics, which is ran by a collaboration of reasearchers from Liverpool, Bath, Sheffield, Loughborough, Southampton, Oxford and Cambridge.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook