What should I study next to get to the level I want?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheNextBigOne
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Study
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
TheNextBigOne
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
So...

I'm interested in learning about Quantum Physics, but I know I have a long time before I actually get to that level. A really long time. Like I've only come a couple steps in this thousand mile long journey.

So far, I have a lot of Single-variable calculus, and Calculus-based Introductory Physics of Electricity and Magnetism, and Mechanics under my Math/Science belt. (I took AP Physics C, and AP Calculus AB in my last and most recent year of high school if that gives you any indication of what I know so far)

I would really appreciate just a list of what I should cover, when I should cover it, and what I should emphasize.

I just need to do this. I don't care how long it takes me, as long as I get there.

Thank you for any help or advice that you can give me, even if it isn't much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
TheNextBigOne said:
So far, I have a lot of Single-variable calculus, and Calculus-based Introductory Physics of Electricity and Magnetism, and Mechanics under my Math/Science belt.

Get a textbook for a (college/university) sophomore-level "introduction to modern physics" course, for example this one. Books like this are geared to precisely your level of preparation.
 
jtbell said:
Get a textbook for a (college/university) sophomore-level "introduction to modern physics" course, for example this one. Books like this are geared to precisely your level of preparation.

Thanks!

Do you know of anywhere that offers that type of information given in the textbook for free?
I know I could buy the used textbook for about $1 (from the url), I'm just curious if I could even save that.
 
TheNextBigOne said:
Thanks!

Do you know of anywhere that offers that type of information given in the textbook for free?
I know I could buy the used textbook for about $1 (from the url), I'm just curious if I could even save that.

*cough* pirate it *cough*

DISCLAIMER: I do not, in any way, support piracy. ;D
 
nickmo94 said:
*cough* pirate it *cough*

DISCLAIMER: I do not, in any way, support piracy. ;D

Lol. I might just NOT have to do that. I would never ever pirate something from the internet. Never ever ever.
 
TheNextBigOne said:
Lol. I might just NOT have to do that. I would never ever pirate something from the internet. Never ever ever.
Now I'm curious... moral reasons, fear of getting caught, or fear of virus infections? (I don't think it's even possible to infect a pdf or a djvu file). Regarding the morality aspects, I download tons of stuff, and I still buy all the books I'm actually going to study, so the fact that I'm able to (and do) download almost everything I want doesn't affect anyone's profit. I use downloads the same way people used libraries in the past (and I guess some people still do :smile:).

Anyway, I think you should check out https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131118927/?tag=pfamazon01-20. It's a great book that will really help you understand the theory better.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
MIT OpenCourseWare is always a good resource.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2006/syllabus/

It's not piracy! :D Math might be somewhat advanced though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Fredrik said:
Now I'm curious... moral reasons, fear of getting caught, or fear of virus infections? (I don't think it's even possible to infect a pdf or a djvu file). Regarding the morality aspects, I download tons of stuff, and I still buy all the books I'm actually going to study, so the fact that I'm able to (and do) download almost everything I want doesn't affect anyone's profit. I use downloads the same way people used libraries in the past (and I guess some people still do :smile:).

Lol. *cough*Sarcasm-intended-in-my-last-post*cough* :smile:

But thanks! Those all sound like great resources! I'll look at them right away.
 
Elante said:
MIT OpenCourseWare is always a good resource.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2006/syllabus/

It's not piracy! :D Math might be somewhat advanced though.


I've heard good things about OCW from MIT. I completely forgot about it till you mentioned it. Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator: