What Should (x-a) Look Like in This Series Expansion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Qubix
Messages
82
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Ok so I have to expand in a power series of [tex]({\alpha} Z)^{2}[/tex], the equation

[tex] E_{nj}=mc^{2}\left\{ \left[1+\left(\frac{Z{\alpha}}{n-(j+1/2)+\sqrt{(j+1/2)^{2}-\alpha^{2}Z^{2}}}\right)^{2}\right]^{-\frac{1}{2}}-1\right\} [/tex]

Homework Equations



I know that a series expansion of a function f(x) around a point a is of the form

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{n!}(x-a)^n.[/tex]
3. Question

In my above formula, if a is represented by [tex]({\alpha} Z)^{2}[/tex] , who is x ? What does E depend on? In other words , what should my (x-a) look like?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually in your formula a = 0 and x = [tex](\alpha Z)^2[/tex]. Though I am wondering where your Z is in the formula for E. I guess you set it to 1. Can you do the expansion now?
 
hy, sorry about that, I modified now. So I should take x = [tex](\alpha Z)^2[/tex] and a = 0.
My last question is, the variable of my equation, from what you're saying is x = [tex](\alpha Z)^2[/tex] , so in my series expansion I must take the derivative with respect to this x ?