What side in real-life do you think is going to win?

• Thread starter lockecole
  • Start date

What side do you think is going to win in real life?

• good

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • evil

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
outsider said:
Well, if there is only one real truth to this statement, then perhaps I failed to communicate my full understanding of it...

nonetheless, i do realize what it means, however my point was that this statement is used so much that it ALSO implies that "this is how it is and how it will be" and so the underlying message is that "might is right". To those who are unable to find a higher ground:

"if you got the guns, use them, no one will remember because you will just cover it up."

My point is that this line should be used less, as it can certainly be viewed out of context.

These are just thoughts to add on to thoughts... eloquence is secondary to the intended thought...
The context that I was using was perspective. I'm sure there are those who would choose to use this as a slogan for the "might is right" philosophy, but much as Islam is twisted to fit Jihad, so can these words be turned to fit a purpose. It's not the message, but the messanger that matters. It's up to the invdividual to gleen from the message what he may.

Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Good will win, because whoever wins will think they are good. The other guys are dead and their opinions therefore don't count. :grumpy:

Skyhunter
Evil exists only for thinking beings with free will.

When an action is contrary to "God's will", it is evil. If one believes in a supreme being, yet still commits an act that is contrary to "Gods will" they have commited a sin.

Since in eternity there is no time, the creation and extinction of such a person is simultaneous, that person not only doesn't exist anymore, they never existed. Therefore in an eternal reality there is no evil.

Zantra said:
The context that I was using was perspective. I'm sure there are those who would choose to use this as a slogan for the "might is right" philosophy, but much as Islam is twisted to fit Jihad, so can these words be turned to fit a purpose. It's not the message, but the messanger that matters. It's up to the invdividual to gleen from the message what he may.
You need not justify your intentions as I completely agree on the context that you were using... I did not post to counter your post, but to impose a new question on the slogan. Although true thusfar in our history, can it be that we all survive to share a larger vision that can encompass a greater truth where there is no victor?

Shall there always be a victor? When parties raise arms, there is always conflict and an element of distrust and no one wants to disarm. Shall we discuss this over a coffee instead? How can I make it up to you? o:)

Skyhunter said:
Evil exists only for thinking beings with free will.

When an action is contrary to "God's will", it is evil. If one believes in a supreme being, yet still commits an act that is contrary to "Gods will" they have commited a sin.

Since in eternity there is no time, the creation and extinction of such a person is simultaneous, that person not only doesn't exist anymore, they never existed. Therefore in an eternal reality there is no evil.
Applause! :approve:

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
You guys really have that Palpatinian view of what is good and evil, don't you? Do you honestly think there is no action (such as say, raping and slicing the throat of a three year-old girl) is just plain evil, regardless of the circumstances? It might be done by a person mentally incapable of realizing what he was doing, and you can argue that he is not evil, but even so? Are we really willing to be that relativistic about everything? Just because something is a human construct doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

By the way, lockecole, do you ever post on any topic other than good and evil?

loseyourname said:
You guys really have that Palpatinian view of what is good and evil, don't you? Do you honestly think there is no action (such as say, raping and slicing the throat of a three year-old girl) is just plain evil,
I would argue that they are never evil, regardless of the circumstances. Evil is just a concept conjured up to justify someone being able to excercise control over someone else. Rape, or even Murder is not inherently evil. Death is not evil, why should causing it be Evil?

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Smurf said:
I would argue that they are never evil, regardless of the circumstances. Evil is just a concept conjured up to justify someone being able to excercise control over someone else. Rape, or even Murder is not inherently evil. Death is not evil, why should causing it be Evil?
So you think the word 'evil' literally has no meaning? What about "rude?" Friendly? Is it not possible for someone to be friendly?

GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What side do you think is going to win in real life?

Tell me why too.
This is possibly the stupidest question I've encountered here at PF. I apologize though if it's coming from an <12 year old

loseyourname said:
So you think the word 'evil' literally has no meaning? What about "rude?" Friendly? Is it not possible for someone to be friendly?
Yes. Rude and Friendly have well defined and universally understood meanings. Evil does not. Evil has every meaning, because everyone intereprets it in their own way, so effectively it has no meaning at all.

IClown's reply

I posted my question at Experts-Exchange.com's Philosophy and Religion sub-topic area of the "Miscellaneous" topic area. Take a look at IClown's reply. He gave me an answer that was not a flame. Can you too?

"There is an excellent socratic argument regarding this very question in the Apology. You'll find Socrates facing a death sentece declaring that no man could do harm to a better man. His argument goes something like this:

1) By harming a good man, you prevent good;
2) Once good is prevented, evil will prevail;
3) With evil prevailing, evil will fall upon the evil doers;
4) Evil doers will suffer;

Thus it is harmful to evil men to do evil.

Therefore, good wins."

Even rude and friendly, they have meanings that revolve around what the society they came from dictates. If one is a Muslim, and he or she kills a hundred innocent people in a suicide bombing, many would consider that evil, yet they believe they are doing the best thing they can do with their life. They believe they will go to paradise. So it all depends on what that person individually considers to be good or evil. The fact of the matter is... all behavioral terms are indeed relativistic.