1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What symbol for ticks on ticker tape

1. Oct 13, 2014 #1
    I used a ticker to measure to measure the acceleration of falling object. And and now I am writing report about it and the problem is what symbol is used for the marks on the ticker tape? Like for grams (g). What would you use for marks(?) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2014 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How much time elapsed between successive hits of the ticker (ie. how much time between marks)? What does the space between the marks measure? (hint: think of the interval of distance and time between marks).

AM

4. Oct 13, 2014 #3
    OK, o fo m lab I mesure the frequency of the constant velocity car. To do it I took the number of marks (ticks on the ticker tape ) and divided it by 3 s( that is for how long my car went) But the thing i don't know what symbol to use for the ticks, Like for grams you use (g), what do you use for Ticks(?) the number of marks.

5. Oct 14, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Out of ideas? Perhaps use t or tk

6. Oct 16, 2014 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try to fill in the answer the following:

The measure of the space between the first tick and the last tick is equal to: (hint: it is one of: average velocity, total distance or total time of the trip)
    The number of ticks is proportional to: ________________ (same hint)
    The space between any two ticks is proportional to: ____________________ (hint: the greater the ________, the greater the space between the ticks)

If you can answer those questions, you should be able to figure out how to relate the ticks to your measurements.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted