Calculating angle of elevation in a ticker tape lab

• Thread starter daee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Lab
In summary, the conversation is about a physics lab involving calculating the angle of elevation of a ramp using information from ticker tapes. The person has created graphs and is unsure where to start. A suggestion is given to use trend lines for more accurate results and to use formulas for accelerated motion to work out the angle.
daee
Hi, I'm currently doing a lab for gr.12 physics and it involves calculating the angle of elevation of a ramp by using information from ticker tapes.

We're given a ticker tape and from that I made a position-time graph, velocity-time graph and acceleration time graph. Now I'm unsure where to start.

If anyone can give me a few hints as to where to start that would be appreciated.

Here's a link to an excel file with the graphs you can take a look if you're not sure what I'm talking about. http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ojmtzyianwl5nqi

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Daee!

Nice work in the spreadsheet! I would recommend using a trend line rather than connecting the dots on the velocity and acceleration graphs - tickertape data has a lot of jitter in it due to rounding the distance measurements and this will be smoothed out by trend lines. Then you can accurately find the slope on the velocity graph and the constant value of the acceleration for most of the run.

On the theory side, what could you predict about those graphs if you knew the angle of the ramp? You probably have formulas for accelerated motion that you could use to work out the acceleration depending on the angle. Knowing the acceleration from the graphs, you should be able to work the formulas backwards and solve for the angle.

1. How do you calculate the angle of elevation in a ticker tape lab?

To calculate the angle of elevation in a ticker tape lab, you will need to measure the height of the ticker tape above the ground and the horizontal distance it travels. Then, you can use the trigonometric function tan(theta) = opposite/adjacent to find the angle of elevation.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the angle of elevation in a ticker tape lab?

The purpose of calculating the angle of elevation in a ticker tape lab is to determine the initial velocity of an object launched at an angle. This can help in understanding the motion of projectiles and other objects.

3. What are the materials needed for a ticker tape lab?

The materials needed for a ticker tape lab include a ticker tape timer, tape, a launcher, a ruler, a stopwatch, and a calculator. You may also need a protractor to measure the angle of elevation.

4. How does the ticker tape timer work?

A ticker tape timer works by attaching a strip of ticker tape to a moving object. As the object moves, it pulls the tape through the timer, leaving behind a series of dots that can be used to track the motion of the object.

5. What are some common sources of error when calculating the angle of elevation in a ticker tape lab?

Some common sources of error when calculating the angle of elevation in a ticker tape lab include inaccurate measurements of distance and height, friction on the ticker tape, and human error in recording data. It is important to take multiple trials and average the results to minimize these errors.