What Temperature Triples the RMS Speed of an Ideal Gas?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nickb145
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean Root
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
nickb145
Messages
68
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An ideal gas has rms speed vrms at a temperature of 288K .

At what temperature is the rms speed tripled?

Homework Equations



P=(NmV2)/3V

The Attempt at a Solution




I'm kind of stumped on this one. Other ones I've done are pretty simple to figure out, but the temperature is what is kicking me
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the mathematical relationship between rms speed and temperature for an ideal gas? That would be a relevant equation here.
 
cepheid said:
What is the mathematical relationship between rms speed and temperature for an ideal gas? That would be a relevant equation here.

Ok so the ideal gas equation is PV=NkbT

Since i see pressure there i divided the volume so i can get P=(NkbT)/v

I set the 2 equations equal to each other and simplified to get T=(mv2)/Kb

if that makes any sense.