What Temperature Gives Nitrogen Molecules an RMS Speed of 1.5 m/s?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
hover
Messages
342
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



1.5 is a typical walking speed.
At what temperature would nitrogen molecules have an rms speed of 1.5 ?


Homework Equations



V=(3*K_b*T/m)^.5
V is the rms speed
K_b is Boltzmann's constant
T is temp in kelvin
m is mass


The Attempt at a Solution



I am going to make the foolish assumption that when they mean mass, they mean the mass of one nitrogen molecule. So the mass of a proton and a neutron is 1.67E-27kg and the mass of an electron is 9.11E-31kg. One nitrogen atom has 7 protons, 7 neutrons and 7 electrons and multiply that by two because of the second nitrogen atom. So ((1.67E-27)(14)+(7)(9.11E-32))(2)=4.677E-26 kg.

Now I rearrange my equation to solve for T and plug in.

mV^2/(3*K_b)=T

(4.677E-26)(1.5)^2/(3*K_b) = .0025 kelvin

Am I close?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Good job. For future reference, it may be easier and quicker to look up the mass of nitrogen or other elements in a periodic table.