What to Do With TV Projector Optics?

In summary, these lenses can be used as a magnifying glass, a flashlight, or a lamp. They can also be used to see things in a large area.
PhysicistSarah
TL;DR Summary
Got some high quality lenses. hat can I do with them?
Summary: Got some high quality lenses. hat can I do with them?

I acquired some high quality optics from a projector style TV that I took apart for it's mirror and a few other things.

I got some high quality lenses though.

I'm interested in astronomy and physics demonstrations because it gets people interested in physics.

Is there anything fun I can do with them?

They have holes for mounting and adjust slightly for calibration while they were in the TV.

I believe I can stack them using a threaded rod going between them, although this may have questionable benefits (If at all).

20190727_135413.jpg
20190727_135537.jpg

Likes 256bits and Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
Diameter and focal length?

Tell the students where they came from, then let them experiment. Magnifying glass, solar concentrator (start a fire), telescope, ? Merely finding (first hand!) that a lens from a piece of high tech equipment can be used as a magnifying glass is a useful learning experience.

PhysicistSarah said:
Summary: Got some high quality lenses. hat can I do with them?
I have some also so what use are they I don't know. Right now I am using one as a clumsy way to see some small stuff like fine print and my fingers and fingerprints.
Shine a flashlight through them to illuminate a large section of the wall.
Try a lamp ( flashlight ) with multiple LED's and try to get a focus on a wall.You should know that the complete assembly has, for cooling, a fluid inside - mono ethylene glycol - consistency near that of water, and I think somewhat non-toxic. If you have not done that already, there is a particular way to take them apart to drain the fluid, otherwise it gets messy. Your picture looks as if that back part closest to the crt has had that step of disassembly already accomplished.

1. What is a TV projector optic?

A TV projector optic is a system of lenses and mirrors that are used to magnify and project an image from a television onto a larger screen or surface. This allows for a larger and more immersive viewing experience.

2. How do I properly clean and maintain TV projector optics?

To clean TV projector optics, use a soft, lint-free cloth and a gentle cleaning solution specifically designed for optics. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials. It is also important to regularly check for any dust or debris that may have accumulated on the lenses or mirrors and carefully remove them with a gentle brush or compressed air.

3. Can I replace or upgrade the optics in my TV projector?

In most cases, the optics in a TV projector are not meant to be replaced or upgraded. However, if you are experiencing issues with the image quality, it is best to consult a professional technician to determine the best course of action.

4. How do I adjust the focus and alignment of my TV projector optics?

To adjust the focus and alignment of TV projector optics, refer to the user manual for specific instructions. In general, there are knobs or buttons on the projector that can be used to adjust the focus and alignment. It is important to make small adjustments and test the image quality after each adjustment to achieve the best results.

5. What are the common problems with TV projector optics and how can I fix them?

Common problems with TV projector optics include dust or debris on the lenses or mirrors, misalignment, and image distortion. These issues can often be fixed by properly cleaning the optics, adjusting the focus and alignment, or replacing any damaged components. If the problem persists, it is best to seek help from a professional technician.