What to take at college to be an engineer?

My mind is set on being an aeronautical engineer. I have 2 routes I can take at college. Either doing A Levels in Maths, Further Maths and Physics or to take a BTEC National Diploma in Engineering. I would like to study Engineering at University so I was wondering what is best. I am leaning towards the A Levels as I think Aeronautical Engineering involves a lot of Maths. What do you think is the best option? and does anyone know what the BTEC involves?

Last edited:


Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I would advise you to definitely take A levels, since they're more transferrable. To become an engineer, you need strong maths and physics skills before you start specialising. Taking A levels will help you hone these skills before specialising in Engineering at university.
Definitely take A-levels man.

Most decent Uni's wouldn't even look at you unless you got 3 D's and had an awesome personal statement and reference.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving