What type of dielectric is used in an NP0 capacitor?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
sodoyle
Messages
34
Reaction score
1
TL;DR
What type of ceramic is an NP0 capacitor made from? I know X7R is barium titanite, but I can't find NP0.
What type of ceramic is an NP0 capacitor made from? I know X7R is barium titanite, but I can't find NP0.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
https://www.avx.com/products/ceramic-capacitors/surface-mount/c0g-np0-dielectric/
"C0G (NP0) is the most popular formulation of the “temperature-compensating,” EIA Class I ceramic materials. Modern C0G (NP0) formulations contain neodymium, samarium and other rare Earth oxides. C0G (NP0) ceramics offer one of the most stable capacitor dielectrics available. Capacitance change with temperature is 0 ±30ppm/°C which is less than ±0.3% C from -55°C to +125°C. Capacitance drift or hysteresis for C0G (NP0) ceramics is negligible at less than ±0.05% versus up to ±2% for films. Typical capacitance change with life is less than ±0.1% for C0G (NP0), one-fifth that shown by most other dielectrics."
 
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Even though C0G is a temperature coefficient, it's also interesting that they're have a lot flatter CV curve.