Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What type of equation is this one?

1. Apr 27, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I am struggling with a problem, where in the middle of my calculations I need to determine a function ##f(\alpha, \beta; x)##, namely the function of ##x## parametrized by ##\alpha## and ##\beta##, from the following equation

$$f\left(\alpha, \beta;\frac{1}{x}\right) = x^4f(\gamma, \delta; x).$$

So the ##f(1/x)## on the LHS and ##f(x)## on the RHS may differ in parametrization. Somehow I found that this equation admits the following solution

$$f(\alpha, \beta; x) = \left(\alpha + \beta x^a\right)^b $$

where ##a\cdot b = -4##. Although, this is probably not the most general solution.

So my question is what type of equation this one is? And how one should approach such equation?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2014 #2

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Some clarifying questions:

Is x a non-zero real number?

Are [itex]\alpha, \beta[/itex] real numbers?

Are [itex]\gamma[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex] real number constants (independent of [itex]\alpha, \beta, x[/itex])?

In your example, you're assuming [itex]\gamma = \alpha = \delta = \beta[/itex]?

4. Apr 27, 2014 #3
    ##f(x)## is well defined and restricted to either ##x>0## or ##x<0##.
    ##\alpha##, ##\beta##, ##\gamma##, ##\delta## in general may be complex and independent of ##x## (they parametrize function ##f(x)##).
    However ##\gamma##, ##\delta## may be functions of ##\alpha##, ##\beta##.

In the example I provided previously we have

$$f\left(\alpha, \beta; x\right) = \left(\alpha + \beta x^{a} \right)^b \Rightarrow f\left(\alpha, \beta; \frac{1}{x}\right) = \left(\alpha + \beta x^{-a} \right)^b = x^{-ab}\left(\alpha x^a + \beta\right)^b = x^{4}f(\beta, \alpha; x)$$
    Where the assumption ##ab = -4## was used. So in this case ##\alpha = \delta## and ##\beta = \gamma## and are not neccesarily equal.

Sorry for not making this clear enough earlier.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  5. May 4, 2014 #4
    Anyone?

6. May 4, 2014 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook