Parameterize a circle based on the contact angle with a wedge

In summary, the conversation discusses a parameterization of a circular arc with contact angle ##\alpha## to the x-axis and the possibility of parameterizing a circle based on both ##\alpha## and ##\beta##. It is suggested that a transformation matrix can be used for this purpose, but further clarification is needed. The original parameterization can be seen as a limiting value for ##\beta = \pi##.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Given a 2D plane, the following is a parameterization of a circular arc with contact angle ##\alpha## to the x-axis: $$\left\langle \frac{\sin s}{\sin\alpha},\frac{\cos s - \cos\alpha}{\sin\alpha} \right\rangle : s \in [-\alpha,\alpha]$$

However, I am trying to parameterize a circle based on contact angle ##\alpha## with a wedge centered at the origin; one example of such a wedge might be ##y=|x|## (though I will change the wedge angle ##\beta##, so ideally the parameterization would be a function of both ##\alpha## and ##\beta##).

In this way, we can think of the above parameterization as a limiting value for ##\beta = \pi##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
BvU said:
Hi,

Isn't this a simple rotation over ##\beta## for which the transformation matrix is well known ?
I have no idea how the transformation matrix yields the transformation I listed above. Could you elaborate?

My thought process is, if I know how that was derived perhaps I could derive the specific parameterization I'm seeking.

1. What is a contact angle?

A contact angle is the angle formed between a liquid and a solid surface at the point where they meet.

2. How is the contact angle related to a circle and a wedge?

The contact angle is the angle formed between the liquid and the tangent line of a circle at the point of contact with a wedge.

3. How do you parameterize a circle based on the contact angle with a wedge?

To parameterize a circle, we need to define a function that describes the relationship between the angle formed by the tangent line and the radius of the circle. This can be done using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

4. What are the variables involved in parameterizing a circle based on the contact angle with a wedge?

The variables involved are the radius of the circle, the angle formed by the tangent line, and the contact angle between the liquid and the solid surface.

5. Why is parameterizing a circle based on the contact angle with a wedge important in science?

Parameterizing a circle based on the contact angle with a wedge allows scientists to accurately describe and model the behavior of liquids on solid surfaces. This is important in various fields such as materials science, chemistry, and engineering.