1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses What undergraduate course should i major in if i want to be a .

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    what undergraduate course should i major in if i want to be a ........

nanotechnology/material science researcher?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2
    Re: what undergraduate course should i major in if i want to be a ........

well there are schools that offer undergrads in nanotech and material science...

4. Sep 22, 2009 #3

which is the best one?rice?mit?or purdue??how about schools in china??? should i learn physics too???what are some maths that will benefit me???what are the other things that could help me excel in this field???

5. Sep 22, 2009 #4

I don't really know which american schools (I'm canadian) but if you go into a program that is dedicated to either nanotech or material science you'll just take the courses you're supposed to (and they'll probably outline extra courses you might want to take). As a reference here's the core course outline for nanotechnology engineering at Waterloo http://www.nanotech.uwaterloo.ca/Undergraduate_Studies/Course_List/?show=core

6. Sep 22, 2009 #5

i know about that,but isnt mit the leading school in nano industry???what kind of requirements do i need to do well in nano field????are there any other courses that has potential to revolutionrize the world too?

7. Sep 22, 2009 #6

If it were me, I'd like to major in physics and chemistry to make sure I understand the basics of nanoscience which I think begins in chemistry and physics. Then I would go to grad school for nanoscience or materials engineering. Or I would major in materials science and minor in chemistry and of course go to grad school. If I were going to be a researcher I'd make sure I understood all the basics and build from that by going to grad school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook