1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What voltage appears across the primary coil of this transormer

1. Apr 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A step down transformer produces a voltage of 6.0 V across the secondary coil when the voltage across the primary coil is 120 V. What voltage appears across the primary coil of this transormer if 120 V is applied to the secondary coil?

2. Relevant equations

Vp/Vs=Np/Ns=Is/Ip ................. ???? (not sure if that is relevant really)

3. The attempt at a solution

i know Vs/Vp = 120/6

i think i dont really know what to do with the 120 v applied to the secondary coil
    i added 120 to the 6 = 126 that means 6 was multiplied by a factor of 21
    so i multiplied the top value of the ratio (120) by 21 and got 2520 v
    but im really not sure if thats right at all? what does "120 V is applied" in mathematical terms?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got everything so right, I'm not sure how you can go wrong. Vs/Vp=120/6=20. So if Vp=6V, Vs=20*Vp=120V. Now suppose Vs=120V? Where is the 21 factor coming from? You don't add the secondary to the primary, it's just a ratio.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  4. Apr 4, 2008 #3
    ok i get it i made a stupid mistake
    so its really 120 X 20 right?
    so the answer is 2400 ?

5. Apr 4, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?