What was the cat's speed when it slid off the table?

In summary, the conversation discusses two scenarios involving an object falling from a height and striking the ground. The first scenario involves an autographed baseball rolling off a desk and the second scenario involves a cat sliding off a table while chasing a mouse. Both scenarios ask for the initial speed of the object before it falls. The formula Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad is used to solve for the initial velocity, but there is confusion about which distance to use in the equation. The conversation ends with suggestions to look at the vertical and horizontal directions separately and consider the acceleration in each direction.
moshilover
1. An autographed baseball rolls off of a 1.4 m high desk and strikes the floor 0.42 m away fro mthe desk.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2/ What was the cat's speed when it slid off the table? Anser in units of m/s.

Since you want to find the initial velocity I used the formula:
Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad I wasnt sure which distance to plug in there (1.4 or .42) I tried both distances and my answer was still wrong each time. You plug 9.81 as your 'a', your final velocity is 0 and you try to find your 'Vi'.
So my equation is like this: 0^2=Vi^2+2x9.81x1.4 (or .42??)

2. A cat chases a mouse across a 1.7 m high table. The mouse steps out of the way, and the cat slides off the table and strikes the floor 1.5m fro mthe edge of the table.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2. What was the cat's speed when it slid off the table? Answer in units of m/s/

I tried to solve this one with the same equation I tried to solve the first one with, I also didnt know which distance to plug in and both my answers were wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
moshilover said:
1. An autographed baseball rolls off of a 1.4 m high desk and strikes the floor 0.42 m away fro mthe desk.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2/ What was the cat's speed when it slid off the table? Anser in units of m/s.

Since you want to find the initial velocity I used the formula:
Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad I wasnt sure which distance to plug in there (1.4 or .42) I tried both distances and my answer was still wrong each time. You plug 9.81 as your 'a', your final velocity is 0 and you try to find your 'Vi'.
So my equation is like this: 0^2=Vi^2+2x9.81x1.4 (or .42??)

2. A cat chases a mouse across a 1.7 m high table. The mouse steps out of the way, and the cat slides off the table and strikes the floor 1.5m fro mthe edge of the table.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2. What was the cat's speed when it slid off the table? Answer in units of m/s/

I tried to solve this one with the same equation I tried to solve the first one with, I also didnt know which distance to plug in and both my answers were wrong.
You should look in the vertcal and horizontal directions separately, and note that the final speed of the object is NOT zero just before it strikes the ground. Try solving for the time it takes the object to hit teh ground by looking in the vertical direction only, where the initial vertical speed is 0, since the object leaves the table horizontally, and gravity is acting downward. Then look in the horizontal direction. What is the acceleration in the horizontal direction?

autographed baseball!o:)

1. What is the definition of speed in terms of physics?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving. It is calculated by dividing the distance an object has traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

2. How does speed differ from velocity?

While speed measures how fast an object is moving, velocity takes into account both speed and direction of motion. In other words, velocity is a vector quantity, while speed is a scalar quantity.

3. How can we calculate the cat's speed when it slid off the table?

In order to calculate the cat's speed, we would need to know the distance the cat traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. Without this information, we cannot accurately determine the cat's speed.

4. Can we assume that the cat's speed was constant as it slid off the table?

No, we cannot assume that the cat's speed was constant. The cat could have accelerated or decelerated as it slid off the table, and without further information, we cannot make this assumption.

5. How could we measure the cat's speed when it slid off the table?

One way to measure the cat's speed would be to use a stopwatch to time how long it takes the cat to slide off the table, and then measure the distance the cat traveled. This would give us the necessary information to calculate the cat's speed.