What were/are your favorite toys?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
124 replies · 13K views
Moonbear said:
but you learned quickly to hold them at arm's length.

oh. :rolleyes:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I loved my duncan butterfly yo-yo. For about 2 hours, then it was so tangled up that the only think it was good for was hunting with, Aborigine style.
 
tribdog said:
I loved my duncan butterfly yo-yo. For about 2 hours, then it was so tangled up that the only think it was good for was hunting with, Aborigine style.

I never really got the knack for yo-yos. I managed to make them go up and down, but not much more. Mine lived in the bottom of the closet...probably the only toy that was actually in the closet where it was supposed to be.
 
Paddle balls. Those wooden paddles with the rubber band stapled to it and attached to a small rubber ball on the other end.
 
tribdog said:
best toy: empty refridgerator box

Or a few blankets thrown over the kitchen chairs to make a fortress! Or better yet, throw the blankets over the lawn chairs and launch a water balloon attack from behind the fortress.
 
tribdog said:
best toy: empty refridgerator box
We used to cut doors and windows into them to make forts.

Do kids now days do any of this stuff or do they just sit glued to their video games all day?

Whatever happened to the good old days when children were given dangerous toys to play with. Talk about weeding out the weak and clumsy. :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
Evo said:
Paddle balls. Those wooden paddles with the rubber band stapled to it and attached to a small rubber ball on the other end.

If they outlawed kerbangers, or clackers, surely that contraption ought to be banned with it! I really used to bonk myself in the head with that one. I learned it's much easier if you cut the elastic shorter and restaple it to the board. Whoever came up with that idea was a genius though...take a small piece of wood, staple an elastic and rubber ball to it, and make a fortune!
 
blanket forts it the kitchen are awesome. I might make one right now.
 
tribdog said:
blanket forts it the kitchen are awesome. I might make one right now.

Those were also good places for playing "If I show you mine, you show me yours." :smile:
 
We can have a sleep over and make blanket forts. I'll bring my easy bake oven and cook.

Moonbear, I'm shocked.
 
tribdog said:
that settles it. I'm building a fort. coming over?

:smile: There's definitely more than one way to read that sentence. :smile:

Not to change the subject too much, but am I the only one who would find a fort in the kitchen romantic?
 
Evo said:
We can have a sleep over and make blanket forts. I'll bring my easy bake oven and cook.

Moonbear, I'm shocked.

I got my start studying anatomy early. Went well with the doctor kit.

Oh, yes, Easy Bake Ovens! My sister had an Easy Bake Microwave...I don't think it cooked those little pans of mystery batter any faster than my oven though.
 
Evo said:
mousetrap was fun.
I found that using live mice added to the thrill and challenge of the game. The cats rather liked it, too.
 
Moonbear said:
Not to change the subject too much, but am I the only one who would find a fort in the kitchen romantic?
I think it would be great. We used to make tents over the bed. I wouldn't mind one of those. :approve:
 
Math Is Hard said:
I found that using live mice added to the thrill and challenge of the game. The cats rather liked it, too.

That's just pure evil! :smile: I liked that game too.
 
Moonbear said:
I got my start studying anatomy early. Went well with the doctor kit.
I used to have play doctor kits. I loved giving people injections. :biggrin:

I always wanted a chemistry set, but my mother was afraid I would blow up the house. :frown:

I remember when they first came out with those play baby bottles where the milk would look like it disappeared. (I have always been easily amused).

BTW, I loved weebles, I named my dog Weeble.
 
Evo said:
BTW, I loved weebles, I named my dog Weeble.

I just like saying weeble. I never just called them weebles though, I always called them weeble wobbles.

Oh, and I had one of those Fisher Price barns, that when you opened the door, it would go, "moooooo."
 
When I was little, we used to build scooters. Nail a few boards together, take a roller skate apart and nail the two halves to the front and rear bottom of the base. Kids nowdays have no idea what it means to lose the key to your roller skates.
 
What did the bull say when asked why the cows all fell over but not him.

"We-bulls wobble but we don't fall down."
 
Anyone have one of those toy submarines that were powered with baking soda?

Monster Bubble was cool too.
 
Uncle Miltons Ant Farm anyone? Not a toy but a favorite. I was really into the S. Ca, large, red ants. Potato bug ant wars were also great fun!
 
hmmm.. I wonder if M-80s count as toys? I did use them to blow up green plastic army men, so maybe..
 
Evo said:
Anyone have one of those toy submarines that were powered with baking soda?

OMG yes! That really takes me back.
 
Math Is Hard said:
hmmm.. I wonder if M-80s count as toys? I did use them to blow up green plastic army men, so maybe..

Are you sure you were a girl? :-p
 
Math Is Hard said:
I wonder if M-80s count as toys?

Back then they were. And wrist rockets too. I did some really bad things... :devil: