Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What were/are your favorite toys?

1. Nov 27, 2004 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Moonbear got me to thinking about the toys I played with when I was little. What were some of your favorite toys when you were growing up?

Here are some that I played with the most.

Superball, colorforms, lincoln logs, etch a sketch, spirograph, creepy crawlers, erector set, lego, barbie, Mr potato head (back when you used a REAL potato) cootie, scrabble, monopoly, play doh, thingmaker set, silly putty, slinky, The Game of Life. My absolute favorite was my Flinstone playset, it was the entire town of Bedrock, it was in mint condition until I gave it to my kids to play with and they destroyed it. :cry:

I forgot Water Wiggle.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2004 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of my favorites is what I just got my nephew (one of the many things I just got him...I'm vying for favorite auntie)...weebles! They weeble and they wobble, but they don't fall down!

I was feeling very nostalgic in the toy store today. Some of the best toys are still made. Cooties and Don't Break the Ice. I liked Operation. Creepy Crawlers was definitely a favorite, especially since everyone else thought it was gross that I wanted to make bugs! Oh, heck, yeah, that whole list Evo put up (um, except Mr Potato Head was a plastic potato by then). Oh, and Toss Across. I loved board games, but didn't get to play much...the only one I had to play those with was my sister (my parents weren't exactly the get involved and play games together as a family type), and since I always won, she would start to cheat. It wasn't much fun then. I had a science lab kit that came complete with a preserved frog that my parents wouldn't let me dissect :frown: I was just dying to get to cut it up and find out what was inside. You can't believe how happy I was when I finally got to 7th grade and they let us dissect a frog in science class! I think I was the ONLY one who was looking forward to it. :biggrin:

4. Nov 27, 2004 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

SEA MONKEYS!!!
    and mr. potato head (of course!), lite brite, magic rocks, erector set, inchworm, barrel of monkeys, legos, and hot wheels and matchbox cars (I wish I still had those - they'd be worth some money now).

5. Nov 27, 2004 #4

Janitor

Science Advisor

I too had a spirograph. I also snuck my brother's Erector Set out of his closet now and then.

Do plastic models count as toys? I glued together and painted several 1/32nd scale models of World War II fighter aircraft. But the most satisifying of all may have been the moon bus model from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.

6. Nov 27, 2004 #5

Janitor

Science Advisor

The Slinky was great fun too, until that danged Jack S. across the street took it and ruined it by stretching out the wires so that it no longer acted right. I think he was the one who tore the leg off of my Gumby too. :cry:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  7. Nov 27, 2004 #6

Evo

How could I forget? I used to spend countless hours sanding, gluing and painting model airplanes and cars. I even had a couple displayed at school. My brother got jealous and after I brought them home he and his friend heated up ice picks and poked holes all over them and then told me they were hit by enemy fire. :frown:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  8. Nov 28, 2004 #7
    spirograph, big wheels, lego

no nintendo or atari, but some of my friends had that stuff

9. Nov 28, 2004 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is just SO messed up! :mad:
    I hope you got revenge. :devil:

10. Nov 28, 2004 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, most of the above less the yucky girly stuff. :biggrin:

I also had this really cool cannon that fired plastic projectiles at a wall that blew up [spring action] when hit. That and toy dart guns were favorites. I really got hooked on walkie-talkies as well.

And, don't sink my battleship!!!

11. Nov 28, 2004 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That made me laugh so HARD!!! That's the sort of thing I'd do to my sister's toys...well, not quite...I didn't do anything to permanently damage them, but she'd find her favorite stuffed toy (that I really liked too...a purple rabbit with a big buck tooth that looked so goofy you couldn't help but love it) bound and gagged, or with aluminum foil braces on its tooth. She had some sappy name for it, like cottontail, I can't even remember, because I called it Fang, and then even my parents would call it Fang...that rabbit was never the same again. :rofl:

12. Nov 28, 2004 #11

Evo

No, my mother always condoned everything he did saying he was "just a boy". He destroyed everything I owned, when he wasn't knocking me unconscious, breaking my arm, knocking my teeth out and shooting me with pellet & beebee guns that is. I don't talk to him.

13. Nov 28, 2004 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh wow, I just remember my electric slot cars. I got my uncle's old set at about age ten. Now those were cool!!! I also liked to play with the rubber-band powered balsa wood airplanes. Then again, torturing my brother and sisters was equally fun. :devil:

14. Nov 28, 2004 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

GOOD LORD!! I thank my lucky stars that I didn't get any siblings until I went off to college.

15. Nov 28, 2004 #14

Evo

:rofl: Now that's FUNNY!!!!! :rofl:

16. Nov 28, 2004 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm sorry Evo but that's hilarious.

17. Nov 28, 2004 #16

Evo

Ooooh, those are great ones too!!

Ivan, slot cars were so much fun! I am remembering so many more toys now! Balsa wood wind up planes!!!!! Do they still make those?

MIH, you were an only child until college?

I remember my youger sister's Transformers. Those were cool.

I forgot paper dolls.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  18. Nov 28, 2004 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, that reminds me...I had a toy, I don't even know what it was called, it had these little dragster cars that were the same on both sides (top and bottom), you'd line up 4 of them, and race them down the track. At each end of the track, there was a battery operated contraption that pulled the car in from the bottom and shot it out the top to go the other way, along with a lap counter on one side. So, you could race your cars. I remember the sound the cars made as the whooshed through that turn that flipped them in the other direction (That's why they were the same top and bottom). I just loved that toy.

Oh, and does anyone remember kerbangers? Two hard balls at the end of strings that you clack together until your mom screams for you to stop because you've given her a headache. They were really popular when I was a kid, and the trick was to get them to clack both up and down and see how many times in a row you could keep it going.

And I can never forget the old classic...hula hoops!

19. Nov 28, 2004 #18

Evo

Yeah, he was very clever at covering his tracks. :grumpy: Like when he drew a nasty scar across the face of my Patty Play Pal doll with a Magic Marker and told me she had been in a car wreck. :frown:

20. Nov 28, 2004 #19
    one toy I didn't have when I was young but got recently is the "Airzooka" everybody needs one of these neatest toy I've ever seen.
    I hated weebles. (last name's Whipple) Whipple's wobble but they don't fall down~jerks
    magnets and magnifying glasses
    whipple balls, i mean, wiffle balls
    all the electronic handheld games-football,racing,baseball, basketball.
    He-Man, skeletor, Masters of the Universe
    Uncle Wiggly
    skateboards
    KISS dolls
    chinese checkers suck
    Sno-Cone machine
    Green Machine
    playing doctor with the neighbor girl-Cammy D.~sigh.
    tape recorder

21. Nov 28, 2004 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

kerbangers knocked out a lot of teeth. Those were really dangerous.

I know the cars that you mention...crud...I can't think of the name. Those were cool.

What was that water thingy called? You hooked up the hose and it darted all around. It was for summer water play.

...and Slip and Slides!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?