B What will be the weight measured by the balance?

Suppose there is a beaker filled with water placed on a weighing machine. Suppose the reading is x kg. Now, if i immerse a solid block inside the beaker without touching the walls or the bottom of the beaker, will the reading given by the weighing machine increase or not?

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Depends ... give us the complete statement of the problem.

Actually the problem was like this:
A beaker containing water is suspended from a spring balance. Does the reading of the spring balance change
(a)When a piece of stone suspended from a string is immersed in water without touching the beaker?
(b)When a piece of iron or cork is put in water in the bucket?

Suppose there is a beaker filled with water placed on a weighing machine. Suppose the reading is x kg. Now, if i immerse a solid block inside the beaker without touching the walls or the bottom of the beaker, will the reading given by the weighing machine increase or not?
Initially you have mass of x Kg which represents beaker filled with some water....now you are having beaker +water +mass(immerged) so mass has changed therefore it should show some increase in the weight of the new system on the pan....but i wish to know from you the reason behind raising this question....
my guess is that you may be thinking that the liquid/water is supporting the mass so that how it will effect the weight.....then you may imagine yourself standing on the weighing machine and then drink a litre of juice ....should the weight increase or not?

@drvrm I asked this question because intuitively it seems to me that there should not be any rise in the reading of the balance since the object does not touch the walls of the beaker.

Yes.

Draw a free body diagram of the stone before and after immersion. What do you notice?

Before immersion the force acting on the body is the force of gravity and the force exerted by us to balance the force of gravity and after immersion the force acting on the stone is the force of gravity, the force exerted by us to balance the force of gravity and the buoyant force exerted by the water.

It may or it may not. That is not mentioned.