Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What word isn’t included in your own vocabulary?

1. May 20, 2009 #1

drizzle

Gold Member

and by that I mean the word you don’t believe in or hate to accept it

For me, it’ll be [coincidence]

I believe there is a reason behind everything:rolleyes:

What about you?!

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

What a coincidence! That's mine, too! :tongue:

4. May 20, 2009 #3

drizzle

Gold Member

nice one turbo-1:biggrin:

5. May 20, 2009 #4
    I don't like the word word.I never have liked the word word and I never will like the word word.I quite like it though.

6. May 20, 2009 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You say you believe there's a reason behind everything, yet you fail to provide the reason you hate the word, "coincidence"?

What's up with that? Why keep us in suspense?

For me, it's "courgette". I absolutely refuse to use the English word for that vegetable. I'll often refer to it in some foreign language, but never in English.

I don't believe there's a reason behind everything, so I won't elaborate on why I hate "courgette".

7. May 20, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't believe in "is". No matter how quickly I try to think about or look at something, it always was.

When I was in college, for reasons that I'm sure no one here could understand, including me, Tsu banned use of the words "derivative" and "integral" while she was in the room. She pointed out the other day that in light of recent economic events, she hates the word "derivative" more than ever.

8. May 20, 2009 #7
    Using the word 'like' in the wrong like context, like a, like, idiot. Its contageous. Anyone around you saying it causes you to start saying it without realizing it. AUGHHH it's so bad. If you are guilty of this, you suck in life.

9. May 20, 2009 #8
    Yes, there's a word that drives me absolutely bananas every time I hear it or see it. It's ..., well for sanity's sake, I hesitate to say.

10. May 20, 2009 #9

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ya don't say!

11. May 20, 2009 #10
    It's interesting that "you know" and "like" are in some circumstances replacements for "um" or "uh". More-or-less filler words to say while you're trying to figure out what word to say next. "Like" has its own slang meaning, attempting to convey someone's actions-- for instance "He was like 'OMG!'". I suppose that's actually a specific conjugation of "to be like"-- "she'll be like 'No way!'", "They're like 'That's too small!'", etc. That's obviously distinctly different (though possibly equally annoying) than interspersing "like" throughout your speech, which is often done with "y'know" or "uhhhh", and can be quite distracting if overused.

One that used to surprise me is the increased and accepted use of "suck". "He can suck it", "this sucks", etc. I always assume that the connotation initiated with the idea of sucking in one's gut ("suck it up", for instance), which is all fine and good. But the "low-brow" connotation is of course oral sex, which I used to be surprised to see going mainstream. I personally wonder if the more "proper" use somehow softened the blow (ha-ha) and paved the way for the baser use of "suck". I've since gotten used to it, but it used to surprise me to see people use that in a more formal environment-- I always thought it akin to swearing, but it's made its way into common use along with things like slang for one's posterior, or a female dog (the auto-moderator won't let me type those, I guess).

DaveE

12. May 20, 2009 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought "suck" had something to do with vacuum cleaners.

If something sucks, it's kind of downheartening or lame. Example: I'm on call this weekend (they almost never call, but you still have to worry about it).

That's worse than "sucking noodles", which, while not great, is at least humorous. Example: I only had one hand free to unlock and open the door and now I've managed to lock the keys inside the door (fortunately, I can get a spare key at the desk, but this is going to be embarrassing to explain).

It's not as bad as "blows". I hate it when you hook the hose to the wrong outlet and wind up blowing dirt all over the carpet. But, then again, you were going to vacuum anyway.

It's not nearly as bad as "sucks and blows". Talk about a major waste of time. By time you're done, you have to dust as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  13. May 20, 2009 #12

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I learned way back in high school not to use the word can't. It was a rule in the martial arts school that I attended for many years. If you used that word in any way, you were thrown immediately by a higher-rank student. Pretty good motivation not to use it!

The purpose behind the prohibition was to help keep you from thinking in a negative way about difficult tasks. Instead of saying "I can't...", you should instead be thinking "It's hard, but I know I can do it if I apply myself correctly..."

It really made a big difference in my life, I have to say. I tried passing the lesson on to my kids, thinking it could help them in life as well. But the ex-wife just told them, "Don't worry, can't is just a word. Go ahead and use it." :grumpy:

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  14. May 20, 2009 #13

drizzle

Gold Member

I suppose you hate to live the moment!!:tongue:

15. May 20, 2009 #14

drizzle

Gold Member

I like to use it a lot:wink:, just like here:rolleyes:, and almost like any time:biggrin:

16. May 20, 2009 #15
    Apparently

I know people who say apparently before any statement. Apparently they think they can't say something without saying apparently. Apparently, it just sounds stupid.

17. May 20, 2009 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do or do not, there is no try.

18. May 20, 2009 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Very few people use the word "literally" correctly - especially teens. "The game was a blow-out. We literally killed them." Yeah, right.

19. May 20, 2009 #18

drizzle

Gold Member

that’s clever, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that you [in person] come up with this !!

kind of a philosophy

20. May 20, 2009 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, there's that one word, but it's not in my vocabulary, so I can't use it. :tongue:

21. May 20, 2009 #20
    Free.
    As in buy two and get one free.

Grrrr.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook