Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would happen when Blackholes Collide?

1. Mar 25, 2012 #1
    What would happen to the spacetime fabric when two super massive blackholes collide. I know that they would orbit each other and the would produce gravitational waves.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why do you assume they would orbit each other? Can you not envision a situation in which they come pretty much straight at each other? Give that each would have enormous gravitational attraction, doesn't a collision seem more likely than orbiting?

4. Mar 25, 2012 #3
    They WOULD orbit each other and would get near to each other untill they finally collide, but this would be in a fraction of a millisecond. I am confirm about it as i have read it from a very authentic source but after the collision what would happen is a big question.

5. Mar 25, 2012 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No it's not. After the collision they would merge.

6. Mar 25, 2012 #5
    Expanding on the subject of this thread. If we take the most simple scenario of two (uncharged, nonrotating) black holes of the same mass falling in towards each other with no angular momentum. How much of the original mass/energy of the black holes will be left in the combined black hole after the merger and how much mass/energy will be lost in the form of radiation? We assume that the two holes are falling in towards each other from being initally at rest with respect to each other and located (infinitely) far away from each other.

Does the answer depend on the masses of the two black holes?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  7. Mar 28, 2012 #6
    Yes they would but their gravity WILL cause them to orbit each other. otherwise the gravity of sun does not attract us but keep is in orbit, rotating not falling in that. We would only fall when the spacetime fabric is curve enough. This can be seen from equations of gravity, like moon orbits earth but the apple from tree falls to earth.
    And as agerhell has said some energy/mass would be lost as gamma radiation.

yes it does depend on their mass but my question is about spacetime fabric not about them or their mass/energy.

8. Mar 28, 2012 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Are you asking a question or answering it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook