What happens in the area between black holes before they collide

In summary: The tidal forces would be quite high for ordinary black hole mergers in the range we have detected so far.
tflahive
TL;DR Summary
The area between two black holes before they collide must be under a great deal of stress. That stress change should be measurable by the effect of radiation or light coming through that area.
Recently there have been a lot of studies of black holes colliding and the gravitational waves that they produce. My question is: What is the effect on the space between the two black holes before they collide. The stress must be extraordinary. That stress should be measurable by radiation, or light coming through that area.

Physics news on Phys.org
tflahive said:
What is the effect on the space between the two black holes before they collide.

It's empty space, not very different from the empty space close to the horizon of a single black hole.

tflahive said:
The stress must be extraordinary.

What stress are you talking about? What kind of stress do you think empty space can have?

Likes Dr.AbeNikIanEdL
You could certainly calculate the expected path of light from a source beyond the black holes passing between them. It would have to be a numerical calculation, as no analytical solution is known for colliding black holes.

However, I don't think there's an awful lot of point. We aren't aware of any nearby black hole pairs in the late stages of an inspiral, so there's no way to test the results. The ones we've seen with LIGO are too far away, and we only find out about them as they happen - so no time to get a telescope pointed even if it could resolve anything. And, as Peter implies, I don't think anything particularly extraordinary would be expected to happen - light paths will be complicated, but no more than that. We could be wrong about that, I suppose, but the observational difficulties mean we probably can't test this particular scenario anyway.

tflahive said:
Summary:: The area between two black holes before they collide must be under a great deal of stress. That stress change should be measurable by the effect of radiation or light coming through that area.

Recently there have been a lot of studies of black holes colliding and the gravitational waves that they produce. My question is: What is the effect on the space between the two black holes before they collide. The stress must be extraordinary. That stress should be measurable by radiation, or light coming through that area.
Despite what a lot of popular science sources suggest, there is no fabric of space to be put under stress. Space itself is vacuum.

Right now you are between two black holes. Feel anything unusual?

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913, QuantumQuest, berkeman and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
Right now you are between two black holes. Feel anything unusual?

The black holes I'm between are not about to collide anytime soon, how about you?

How soon is soon?

tflahive said:
What is the effect on the space between the two black holes before they collide.
Wondering what type of black hole(s)?
Super massive black hole with a baseball size hole.
Not answering, just wondering.
If a proton happened by chance to be at the point of merger, which hole would it fall into first?

256bits said:
Wondering what type of black hole(s)?
Super massive black hole with a baseball size hole.
As long as GR holds up, it doesn't make any difference. There's nothing unusual about spacetime near black holes aside from the degree of curvature. For a sufficiently small (microscopic) hole I think we do eventually have to worry about quantum gravity, but since we don't have a working theory of quantum gravity we can't say much about that.
256bits said:
If a proton happened by chance to be at the point of merger, which hole would it fall into first?
Once the holes touch they are one hole, so this question isn't really answerable. Black holes are vacuum solutions, so you can't really imagine painting one red and one blue and describing parts of the combined hole as having come from the red one or the blue one.

Ibix said:
Once the holes touch they are one hole, so this question isn't really answerable. Black holes are vacuum solutions, so you can't really imagine painting one red and one blue and describing parts of the combined hole as having come from the red one or the blue one.
So no spagetification of one black hole to another.
Sorry. Had to throw that in.
It is one of the numerous questions of black holes.
Thanks.

Ibix said:
There's nothing unusual about spacetime near black holes aside from the degree of curvature.

And even that can be small if the holes are large enough.

Likes Ibix
256bits said:
So no spagetification of one black hole to another.
Well, I'd expect each horizon to be deformed towards the other. It's just that once they touch you don't have two separate horizons, and they aren't made of matter so it's a bit difficult to find anything you can point to and say "this used to be part of the small/large hole" in any way that isn't completely arbitrary.

Likes 256bits
The tidal forces would be quite high for ordinary black hole mergers in the range we have detected so far. That isn’t exactly an effect on space, but certainly on any matter in the area.

Ibix said:
Well, I'd expect each horizon to be deformed towards the other. It's just that once they touch you don't have two separate horizons, and they aren't made of matter so it's a bit difficult to find anything you can point to and say "this used to be part of the small/large hole" in any way that isn't completely arbitrary.
I think in the moment they touch the resulting black hole is highly deformed, is radiating violently gravitational waves away and that then there exists only one singularity compared to the moment before.

timmdeeg said:
in the moment they touch the resulting black hole is highly deformed

In the sense that the intersection of the horizon with a surface of constant "time" in the coordinates usually used is not spherical, but shaped more like a dumbbell, yes.

timmdeeg said:
is radiating violently gravitational waves

Yes.

timmdeeg said:
and that then there exists only one singularity compared to the moment before

No. There is only one singularity. As far as spacetime is concerned, there is only one horizon too; it is just shaped like a pair of trousers instead of like a cylinder (speaking heuristically). What we normally describe as two black holes merging is just the legs of the trousers coming together; but in spacetime, the trousers are still one surface, not two.

Likes Orodruin
PeterDonis said:
it is just shaped like a pair of trousers instead of like a cylinder (speaking heuristically). What we normally describe as two black holes merging is just the legs of the trousers coming together
With the legs of the trousers being tightly twisted (but not touching each other) near the crotch.

Dale said:
With the legs of the trousers being tightly twisted near the crotch.

Yes.

PeterDonis said:
No. There is only one singularity. As far as spacetime is concerned, there is only one horizon too; it is just shaped like a pair of trousers instead of like a cylinder (speaking heuristically). What we normally describe as two black holes merging is just the legs of the trousers coming together; but in spacetime, the trousers are still one surface, not two.
My remark refers to the moment "before they touch". Do you describe this moment?

timmdeeg said:
My remark refers to the moment "before they touch". Do you describe this moment?

I described the 4-dimensional spacetime geometry. There are no "moments" in what I described; I described the global properties of the geometry. The fact that there is only one horizon and one singularity is a global property of the geometry.

PeterDonis said:
I described the 4-dimensional spacetime geometry. There are no "moments" in what I described; I described the global properties of the geometry. The fact that there is only one horizon and one singularity is a global property of the geometry.
Can one draw a Penrose diagram, or something analogous to a Kruskal diagram, for colliding black holes?

PeterDonis said:
I have been interpreting the trousers such that there is this "moment" and that there exist two separate black holes before this moment each with its singularity. But this is a misunderstanding if I understand you correctly.

Ibix said:
Can one draw a Penrose diagram, or something analogous to a Kruskal diagram, for colliding black holes?

I have not seen one. The problem is that these diagrams require spherical symmetry so that two of the four dimensions can be suppressed. A spacetime with two black holes in it is not spherically symmetric. It is not even axially symmetric; in the general case it has no Killing vector fields at all, at least not globally (there may be approximate axial and timelike KVFs in the far future).

Likes Ibix
timmdeeg said:
I have been interpreting the trousers such that there is this "moment" and that there exist two separate black holes before this moment each with its singularity. But this is a misunderstanding if I understand you correctly.

It's not a misunderstanding so much as a use of vague ordinary language. What does "two black holes" mean?

If it means "the intersection of the horizon with a surface of constant time in my chosen coordinates is two disjoint 2-surfaces for times before some particular time in my coordinates", then in that sense, you can say there are two black holes before a certain time.

But if it means "there are two disjoint regions of spacetime which can't send light signals to infinity", then in that sense it is simply false; there is only one such region, and it is the one I described, shaped like a pair of trousers.

If you are looking at singularities, the only meaning of "black hole" that is relevant is the second one--singularities are "attached" to regions of spacetime, not coordinate choices. So there is no valid viewpoint according to which there are two singularities before some particular time and one after. There is just one.

Likes mfb and timmdeeg
PeterDonis said:
If you are looking at singularities, the only meaning of "black hole" that is relevant is the second one--singularities are "attached" to regions of spacetime, not coordinate choices. So there is no valid viewpoint according to which there are two singularities before some particular time and one after. There is just one.
Thanks that gave me a new insight.

tflahive said:
Summary:: The area between two black holes before they collide must be under a great deal of stress. That stress change should be measurable by the effect of radiation or light coming through that area.

If the two black holes are colliding without matter nearby, no, there won't be any visible radiation at all. However, if there is matter there, it's definitely conceivable that there will be some interesting effects present. My thought, however, is that the space between two black holes would be less curved rather than more, because the gravity of the two black holes would partially cancel in that regime.

It definitely is an interesting question to me what would happen if two black holes with active accretion disks were to collide, and the answer is sure to be rather difficult to determine in precise terms due to the complexity of the systems. But interesting nonetheless.

kimbyd said:
My thought, however, is that the space between two black holes would be less curved rather than more, because the gravity of the two black holes would partially cancel in that regime.

The "acceleration due to gravity" due to the two holes might partially cancel, but that is not spacetime curvature. Spacetime curvature will, if anything, be larger in between two black holes than it would be due to either hole individually. But really spacetime curvature is a tensor and doesn't have a single "size".

PeterDonis said:
The "acceleration due to gravity" due to the two holes might partially cancel, but that is not spacetime curvature. Spacetime curvature will, if anything, be larger in between two black holes than it would be due to either hole individually. But really spacetime curvature is a tensor and doesn't have a single "size".
As the SET is identical zero in this scenario do we talk about Weyl curvature then? And would a ball of test particles increasingly be distorted such that the long axis of the ellipsoid coincides with the straight line connecting the two black holes?

timmdeeg said:
As the SET is identical zero in this scenario do we talk about Weyl curvature then?

Yes.

timmdeeg said:
would a ball of test particles increasingly be distorted such that the long axis of the ellipsoid coincides with the straight line connecting the two black holes?

To a first approximation, yes, at least for the case where the holes were large enough and far enough apart that linearly superposing the curvatures from the two holes was a good first approximation. But no exact solution is known for this case, and the EFE is nonlinear so as the holes get closer the actual curvature is more and more poorly approximated by a linear superposition of the individual solutions for each hole.

Likes Dale and timmdeeg
PeterDonis said:
Yes.
To a first approximation, yes, at least for the case where the holes were large enough and far enough apart that linearly superposing the curvatures from the two holes was a good first approximation. But no exact solution is known for this case, and the EFE is nonlinear so as the holes get closer the actual curvature is more and more poorly approximated by a linear superposition of the individual solutions for each hole.
Thanks.

PeterDonis said:
It's empty space, not very different from the empty space close to the horizon of a single black hole.
What stress are you talking about? What kind of stress do you think empty space can have?
I mean that the area, and what ever is in that area, between two gravity wells must be pulled in two directions.

tflahive said:
I mean that the area, and what ever is in that area, between two gravity wells must be pulled in two directions.
Well - the net "pull" (not a great term in the case of general relativity, which doesn't model gravity as a force) will always be in one direction or another. It is the result of the combination of the gravitational effects of both holes, though, yes. But that isn't anything particularly special - you are being "pulled on" by the Earth, Sun and Moon right now.

PeterDonis said:
You can use the Ricci scalar for a coordinate-free description of the total amount of space-time curvature. Obviously this doesn't tell you all of the details of the curvature, but I think it's a reasonable way to make this situation more concrete.

But I guess it makes sense that the space there would be highly curved, for the reason that a small amount of movement towards either black hole will have a large impact on the future trajectory of a particle.

kimbyd said:
You can use the Ricci scalar for a coordinate-free description of the total amount of space-time curvature.

Not in a vacuum spacetime, which is what we're talking about (black holes are vacuum solutions); the Ricci tensor is identically zero in vacuum.

The Kretzschmann scalar would be the nonzero one to use in this case.

Likes kimbyd and Orodruin
<h2>1. What is the area between black holes called?</h2><p>The area between black holes is called the event horizon. This is the point at which the gravitational pull of the black hole is so strong that even light cannot escape.</p><h2>2. What happens to matter in the area between black holes before they collide?</h2><p>As the black holes approach each other, the intense gravitational forces cause matter to be pulled towards the event horizon. This matter is heated to extremely high temperatures and emits radiation before being consumed by the black holes.</p><h2>3. How long does it take for black holes to collide?</h2><p>The time it takes for black holes to collide varies depending on their size and distance from each other. It can range from millions to billions of years. However, once they get close enough, the final stages of the collision can happen in a matter of seconds.</p><h2>4. What happens to the space-time fabric in the area between black holes during a collision?</h2><p>As the black holes get closer, their immense gravitational forces distort the space-time fabric, causing it to ripple and bend. This is known as gravitational waves and is a key indicator of a black hole collision.</p><h2>5. What happens to the black holes after they collide?</h2><p>When black holes collide, they merge into a single, larger black hole. This process releases a tremendous amount of energy in the form of gravitational waves, which can be detected by specialized instruments on Earth. The resulting black hole will continue to grow as it consumes more matter from its surroundings.</p>

1. What is the area between black holes called?

The area between black holes is called the event horizon. This is the point at which the gravitational pull of the black hole is so strong that even light cannot escape.

2. What happens to matter in the area between black holes before they collide?

As the black holes approach each other, the intense gravitational forces cause matter to be pulled towards the event horizon. This matter is heated to extremely high temperatures and emits radiation before being consumed by the black holes.

3. How long does it take for black holes to collide?

The time it takes for black holes to collide varies depending on their size and distance from each other. It can range from millions to billions of years. However, once they get close enough, the final stages of the collision can happen in a matter of seconds.

4. What happens to the space-time fabric in the area between black holes during a collision?

As the black holes get closer, their immense gravitational forces distort the space-time fabric, causing it to ripple and bend. This is known as gravitational waves and is a key indicator of a black hole collision.

5. What happens to the black holes after they collide?

When black holes collide, they merge into a single, larger black hole. This process releases a tremendous amount of energy in the form of gravitational waves, which can be detected by specialized instruments on Earth. The resulting black hole will continue to grow as it consumes more matter from its surroundings.