Whatever happened to Intentional Programming paradigm?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Intentional Programming and its potential overlap with Domain Specific Language. The speaker also mentions their preference for the unintentional school of programming, where code is written without a full understanding of the system. They also briefly touch on the idea of intentional vs unintentional code.
elcaro
TL;DR Summary
Almost all existing programming languages work at the basis of source files (text format) that gets compiled/linked into executable code or interpreted. A different approach (such as utilized by Intentional Pogramming) stores program source not in text format but in its abstract syntax tree (AST). The approach here is similar to how relational databases work, avoiding redundancy. For example objects are identified by some key, while their names are just labels stored at only one place.
Has the approach towards programming, like for instance that of Intentional Programming, been proven to be fruitfull?

Technology news on Phys.org
I was not familiar with the specific concept of Intentional Programming before you mentioned it, but at a glance it seems to me that there is some overlap with the concept or pattern of Domain Specific Langauge in that both allow programmers to express themselves in way that is concise for a particular problem domain. I am not aware if any such overlap is accidentally or if part of IP went on to influence DSL (which seems a bit younger than IP). At least its quite common in the software business to see some of the same ideas being rehashed or rediscovered in quite many different incarnations over time.

Likes elcaro and jedishrfu
I favor the unintentional school of programming where one writes code not fully understanding the application or system and hopes not to make unintentional errors.

• Haha
Likes berkeman and Filip Larsen
jedishrfu said:
I favor the unintentional school of programming ...
I actually first thought OP was thinking about the principle of intentional code, i.e. that all pieces of (production) code present should be there for a known and valid reason and not just because you hit it with a hammer (e.g. trial and error) until it magically worked. The hammer is reserved for experimental code only.

Likes elcaro
Filip Larsen said:
I actually first thought OP was thinking about the principle of intentional code, i.e. that all pieces of (production) code present should be there for a known and valid reason and not just because you hit it with a hammer (e.g. trial and error) until it magically worked. The hammer is reserved for experimental code only.
Normally code is written by monkeys, but you need a whole bunch of them and lot of time, before some unintentional valid code emerges...

1. What is the Intentional Programming paradigm?

The Intentional Programming paradigm is a programming methodology developed by Charles Simonyi in the 1990s. It is based on the idea of programming at the level of the user's intentions rather than at the level of the computer's instructions.

2. Why did Intentional Programming not become popular?

There are several reasons why the Intentional Programming paradigm did not become widely adopted. One of the main reasons is that it required a significant shift in how programmers think and approach programming, which many found difficult to adapt to. Additionally, the necessary tools and infrastructure for Intentional Programming were not widely available, making it difficult to implement in practice.

3. Was Intentional Programming ever used in real-world applications?

Yes, Intentional Programming was used in some real-world applications, particularly in the early stages of its development. However, due to its limited adoption and lack of support, it never gained widespread use in the industry.

4. Is Intentional Programming still relevant today?

While the Intentional Programming paradigm did not become mainstream, some of its concepts and principles have been incorporated into other programming methodologies. However, the Intentional Programming paradigm as a whole is not widely used today and is not considered a mainstream approach to programming.

5. Are there any modern programming languages based on Intentional Programming?

There are no modern programming languages that are directly based on the Intentional Programming paradigm. However, some languages, such as Microsoft's "X#" language, have incorporated some of the concepts and principles of Intentional Programming into their design.